Biosynthesis of Branched Alkoxy Groups: Iterative Methyl Group Alkylation by a Cobalamin-Dependent Radical SAM Enzyme.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe biosynthesis of branched alkoxy groups, such as the unique t-butyl group found in a variety of natural products, is still poorly understood. Recently, cystobactamids were isolated and identified from Cystobacter sp as novel antibacterials. These metabolites contain an isopropyl group proposed to be formed using CysS, a cobalamin-dependent radical S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) methyltransferase. Here, we reconstitute the CysS-catalyzed reaction, on p-aminobenzoate thioester substrates, and demonstrate that it not only catalyzes sequential methylations of a methyl group to form ethyl and isopropyl groups but remarkably also sec-butyl and t-butyl groups. To our knowledge, this is the first in vitro reconstitution of a cobalamin-dependent radical SAM enzyme catalyzing the conversion of a methyl group to a t-butyl group.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut füt Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 United States
- Iterative Methylations Resulting in the Biosynthesis of the t-Butyl Group Catalyzed by a B<sub>12</sub>-Dependent Radical SAM Enzyme in Cystobactamid Biosynthesis.
- Authors: Wang Y, Schnell B, Müller R, Begley TP
- Issue date: 2018
- GenK-catalyzed C-6' methylation in the biosynthesis of gentamicin: isolation and characterization of a cobalamin-dependent radical SAM enzyme.
- Authors: Kim HJ, McCarty RM, Ogasawara Y, Liu YN, Mansoorabadi SO, LeVieux J, Liu HW
- Issue date: 2013 Jun 5
- Mechanistic Studies on CysS - A Vitamin B<sub>12</sub>-Dependent Radical SAM Methyltransferase Involved in the Biosynthesis of the <i>tert</i>-Butyl Group of Cystobactamid.
- Authors: Wang Y, Begley TP
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 3
- The B<sub>12</sub>-Radical SAM Enzyme PoyC Catalyzes Valine C<sub>β</sub>-Methylation during Polytheonamide Biosynthesis.
- Authors: Parent A, Guillot A, Benjdia A, Chartier G, Leprince J, Berteau O
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 7
- The Catalytic Mechanism of the Class C Radical S-Adenosylmethionine Methyltransferase NosN.
- Authors: Ding W, Li Y, Zhao J, Ji X, Mo T, Qianzhu H, Tu T, Deng Z, Yu Y, Chen F, Zhang Q
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 27