Identification and quantification of (t)RNA modifications in Pseudomonas aeruginosa by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTransfer RNA (tRNA) modifications impact the structure and function of tRNAs thus affecting the efficiency and fidelity of translation. In the opportunistic pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa translational regulation plays an important but less defined role in the adaptation to changing environments. In this study, we explored tRNA modifications in P. aeruginosa using LC-MS/MS based approaches. Neutral Loss Scan (NLS) demonstrated the potential to identify previously unknown modifications, while Multiple Reaction Monitoring (MRM) can detect modifications with high specificity and sensitivity. In this study, the MRM-based external calibration method allowed for quantification of the 4 canonical and 32 modified ribonucleosides, of which 21 tRNA modifications were quantified in the total tRNA pool of P. aeruginosa PA14. We also purified the single tRNA isoacceptors tRNA-ArgUCU, tRNA-LeuCAA and tRNA-TrpCCA and determined, both qualitatively and quantitatively, their specific modification pattern. Deeper insights into the nature and dynamics of tRNA modifications in P. aeruginosa will pave the way for further studies on posttranscriptional gene regulation as a relatively unexplored molecular mechanism of controlling bacterial pathogenicity and life style.
CitationChembiochem. 2019 Jan 15. doi: 10.1002/cbic.201800741
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Quantitative analysis of ribonucleoside modifications in tRNA by HPLC-coupled mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Su D, Chan CT, Gu C, Lim KS, Chionh YH, McBee ME, Russell BS, Babu IR, Begley TJ, Dedon PC
- Issue date: 2014 Apr
- Sequence mapping of transfer RNA chemical modifications by liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Ross R, Cao X, Yu N, Limbach PA
- Issue date: 2016 Sep 1
- Mapping Post-Transcriptional Modifications onto Transfer Ribonucleic Acid Sequences by Liquid Chromatography Tandem Mass Spectrometry.
- Authors: Ross RL, Cao X, Limbach PA
- Issue date: 2017 Feb 22
- The global identification of tRNA isoacceptors by targeted tandem mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Wetzel C, Limbach PA
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 21
- tRNA Modification Profiles and Codon-Decoding Strategies in Methanocaldococcus jannaschii.
- Authors: Yu N, Jora M, Solivio B, Thakur P, Acevedo-Rocha CG, Randau L, de Crécy-Lagard V, Addepalli B, Limbach PA
- Issue date: 2019 May 1