Comparative genomic analysis of eight novel haloalkaliphilic bacteriophages from Lake Elmenteita, Kenya.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsAkhwale, Juliah Khayeli
Boga, Hamadi Iddi
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe report complete genome sequences of eight bacteriophages isolated from Haloalkaline Lake Elmenteita found on the floor of Kenyan Rift Valley. The bacteriophages were sequenced, annotated and a comparative genomic analysis using various Bioinformatics tools carried out to determine relatedness of the bacteriophages to each other, and to those in public databases. Basic genome properties like genome size, percentage coding density, number of open reading frames, percentage GC content and gene organizations revealed the bacteriophages had no relationship to each other. Comparison to other nucleotide sequences in GenBank database showed no significant similarities hence novel. At the amino acid level, phages of our study revealed mosaicism to genes with conserved domains to already described phages. Phylogenetic analyses of large terminase gene responsible for DNA packaging and DNA polymerase gene for replication further showed diversity among the bacteriophages. Our results give insight into diversity of bacteriophages in Lake Elmenteita and provide information on their evolution. By providing primary sequence information, this study not only provides novel sequences for biotechnological exploitation, but also sets stage for future studies aimed at better understanding of virus diversity and genomes from haloalkaline lakes in the Rift Valley.
CitationPLoS One. 2019 Feb 14;14(2):e0212102. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0212102. eCollection 2019.
AffiliationHZI, Helmholtz Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Isolation, characterization and analysis of bacteriophages from the haloalkaline lake Elmenteita, Kenya.
- Authors: Akhwale JK, Rohde M, Rohde C, Bunk B, Spröer C, Boga HI, Klenk HP, Wittmann J
- Issue date: 2019
- Three novel bacteriophages isolated from the East African Rift Valley soda lakes.
- Authors: van Zyl LJ, Nemavhulani S, Cass J, Cowan DA, Trindade M
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 3
- Functional and comparative genome analysis of novel virulent actinophages belonging to Streptomyces flavovirens.
- Authors: Sharaf A, Mercati F, Elmaghraby I, Elbaz RM, Marei EM
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 3
- Characterization of Paenibacillus larvae bacteriophages and their genomic relationships to firmicute bacteriophages.
- Authors: Merrill BD, Grose JH, Breakwell DP, Burnett SH
- Issue date: 2014 Aug 30
- Sequence and comparative analysis of Leuconostoc dairy bacteriophages.
- Authors: Kot W, Hansen LH, Neve H, Hammer K, Jacobsen S, Pedersen PD, Sørensen SJ, Heller KJ, Vogensen FK
- Issue date: 2014 Apr 17