Single-cell phenotypic characterization of Staphylococcus aureus with fluorescent triazole urea activity-based probes.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPhenotypically distinct cellular (sub)populations are clinically relevant for virulence and antibiotic resistance of a bacterial pathogen, but functionally different cells are usually indistinguishable from each other. Here, we introduce fluorescent activity-based probes as chemical tools for single-cell phenotypic characterization of enzyme activity levels in Staphylococcus aureus. We screened a 1,2,3-triazole urea library to identify selective inhibitors of fluorophosphonate-binding serine hydrolases and lipases in S. aureus and synthesized target-selective activity-based probes. Molecular imaging and activity-based protein profiling studies with these probes revealed a dynamic network within this enzyme family involving compensatory regulation of specific family members and exposed single-cell phenotypic heterogeneity. We propose chemical probe labeling of enzymatic activities as a generalizable method for phenotyping of bacterial cells at the population and single-cell level.
CitationAngew Chem Int Ed Engl. 2019 Feb 15. doi: 10.1002/anie.201900511.
AffiliationHZI, Helmholtz Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig Germany.
PubMed Central IDPMC6456404
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Alternative fluorescent labeling strategies for characterizing gram-positive pathogenic bacteria: Flow cytometry supported counting, sorting, and proteome analysis of Staphylococcus aureus retrieved from infected host cells.
- Authors: Hildebrandt P, Surmann K, Salazar MG, Normann N, Völker U, Schmidt F
- Issue date: 2016 Oct
- What you see is what you get: activity-based probes in single-cell analysis of enzymatic activities.
- Authors: Lentz CS
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 25
- Identification of a S. aureus virulence factor by activity-based protein profiling (ABPP).
- Authors: Lentz CS, Sheldon JR, Crawford LA, Cooper R, Garland M, Amieva MR, Weerapana E, Skaar EP, Bogyo M
- Issue date: 2018 Jun
- Efflux-mediated response of Staphylococcus aureus exposed to ethidium bromide.
- Authors: Couto I, Costa SS, Viveiros M, Martins M, Amaral L
- Issue date: 2008 Sep
- Design and Synthesis of Quenched Activity-based Probes for Diacylglycerol Lipase and α,β-Hydrolase Domain Containing Protein 6.
- Authors: van Rooden EJ, Kohsiek M, Kreekel R, van Esbroeck ACM, van den Nieuwendijk AMCH, Janssen APA, van den Berg RJBHN, Overkleeft HS, van der Stelt M
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 16