An enhanced assay to characterize anti-CRISPR proteins using a cell-free transcription-translation system.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsWandera, Katharina G
Collins, Scott P
Beisel, Chase L
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe characterization of CRISPR-Cas immune systems in bacteria was quickly followed by the discovery of anti-CRISPR proteins (Acrs) in bacteriophages. These proteins block different steps of CRISPR-based immunity and, as some inhibit Cas nucleases, can offer tight control over CRISPR technologies. While Acrs have been identified against a few CRISPR-Cas systems, likely many more await discovery and application. Here, we report a rapid and scalable method for characterizing putative Acrs against Cas nucleases using an E. coli-derived cell-free transcription-translation system. Using known Acrs against type II Cas9 nucleases as models, we demonstrate how the method can be used to measure the inhibitory activity of individual Acrs in under two days. We also show how the method can overcome non-specific inhibition of gene expression observed for some Acrs. In total, the method should accelerate the interrogation and application of Acrs as CRISPR-Cas inhibitors.
CitationMethods. 2019 May 21. pii: S1046-2023(19)30001-5. doi: 10.1016/j.ymeth.2019.05.014.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Potent Cas9 Inhibition in Bacterial and Human Cells by AcrIIC4 and AcrIIC5 Anti-CRISPR Proteins.
- Authors: Lee J, Mir A, Edraki A, Garcia B, Amrani N, Lou HE, Gainetdinov I, Pawluk A, Ibraheim R, Gao XD, Liu P, Davidson AR, Maxwell KL, Sontheimer EJ
- Issue date: 2018 Dec 4
- A detailed cell-free transcription-translation-based assay to decipher CRISPR protospacer-adjacent motifs.
- Authors: Maxwell CS, Jacobsen T, Marshall R, Noireaux V, Beisel CL
- Issue date: 2018 Jul 1
- Anti-CRISPR proteins targeting the CRISPR-Cas system enrich the toolkit for genetic engineering.
- Authors: Liu Q, Zhang H, Huang X
- Issue date: 2020 Feb
- Temperature-Responsive Competitive Inhibition of CRISPR-Cas9.
- Authors: Jiang F, Liu JJ, Osuna BA, Xu M, Berry JD, Rauch BJ, Nogales E, Bondy-Denomy J, Doudna JA
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 7
- Biochemical characterization of RNA-guided ribonuclease activities for CRISPR-Cas9 systems.
- Authors: Gramelspacher MJ, Hou Z, Zhang Y
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 1