Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsCañete, Pablo F
Sweet, Rebecca A
Roco, Jonathan A
Bassett, Katharine J
Canaday, David H
Fazekas de St Groth, Barbara
Cook, Matthew C
Vinuesa, Carola G
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMucosal lymphoid tissues such as human tonsil are colonized by bacteria and exposed to ingested and inhaled antigens, requiring tight regulation of immune responses. Antibody responses are regulated by follicular helper T (TFH) cells and FOXP3+ follicular regulatory T (TFR) cells. Here we describe a subset of human tonsillar follicular T cells identified by expression of TFH markers and CD25 that are the main source of follicular T (TF) cell-derived IL-10. Despite lack of FOXP3 expression, CD25+ TF cells resemble T reg cells in high CTLA4 expression, low IL-2 production, and their ability to repress T cell proliferation. CD25+ TF cell-derived IL-10 dampens induction of B cell class-switching to IgE. In children, circulating total IgE titers were inversely correlated with the frequencies of tonsil CD25+ TF cells and IL-10-producing TF cells but not with total T reg cells, TFR, or IL-10-producing T cells. Thus, CD25+ TF cells emerge as a subset with unique T and B cell regulatory activities that may help prevent atopy.
CitationJ Exp Med. 2019 Jun 17. pii: jem.20190493. doi: 10.1084/jem.20190493.
AffiliationBRICS, Braunschweiger Zentrum für Systembiologie, Rebenring 56,38106 Braunschweig, Germany.
PublisherRockefeller University Press
JournalJournal of experimental Medicine
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- T follicular helper cell-mediated IL-21 production suppresses FOXP3 expression of T follicular regulatory-like cells in diffuse large B cell lymphoma patients.
- Authors: Ma X, Zha J, He J, Chen L, Huang J, Wu W, Tian P, Qian BH, Yu L, Jiang Y, Xu B
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Circulating follicular regulatory T cells could inhibit Ig production in a CTLA-4-dependent manner but are dysregulated in ulcerative colitis.
- Authors: Wang S, Fan T, Yao L, Ma R, Yang S, Yuan F
- Issue date: 2019 Oct
- Decreased T Follicular Regulatory Cell/T Follicular Helper Cell (TFH) in Simian Immunodeficiency Virus-Infected Rhesus Macaques May Contribute to Accumulation of TFH in Chronic Infection.
- Authors: Chowdhury A, Del Rio Estrada PM, Tharp GK, Trible RP, Amara RR, Chahroudi A, Reyes-Teran G, Bosinger SE, Silvestri G
- Issue date: 2015 Oct 1
- Follicular regulatory T cells repress cytokine production by follicular helper T cells and optimize IgG responses in mice.
- Authors: Wu H, Chen Y, Liu H, Xu LL, Teuscher P, Wang S, Lu S, Dent AL
- Issue date: 2016 May
- A distinct subpopulation of CD25(-) T-follicular regulatory cells localizes in the germinal centers.
- Authors: Wing JB, Kitagawa Y, Locci M, Hume H, Tay C, Morita T, Kidani Y, Matsuda K, Inoue T, Kurosaki T, Crotty S, Coban C, Ohkura N, Sakaguchi S
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 1