Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe search for novel anti-infectives is one of the most important challenges in natural product research, as diseases caused by bacteria, viruses, and fungi are influencing the human society all over the world. Natural compounds are a continuing source of novel anti-infectives. Accordingly, curcumin, has been used for centuries in Asian traditional medicine to treat various disorders. Numerous studies have shown that curcumin possesses a wide spectrum of biological and pharmacological properties, acting, for example, as anti-inflammatory, anti-angiogenic and anti-neoplastic, while no toxicity is associated with the compound. Recently, curcumin's antiviral and antibacterial activity was investigated, and it was shown to act against various important human pathogens like the influenza virus, hepatitis C virus, HIV and strains of Staphylococcus, Streptococcus, and Pseudomonas. Despite the potency, curcumin has not yet been approved as a therapeutic antiviral agent. This review summarizes the current knowledge and future perspectives of the antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal effects of curcumin.
CitationFront Microbiol. 2019 May 3;10:912. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2019.00912. eCollection 2019.
AffiliationTWINCORE, Zentrum für experimentelle und klinische Infektionsforschung GmbH,Feodor-Lynen Str. 7, 30625 Hannover, Germany.
JournalFrontiers in Microbiology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Recent Advances in the Synthesis and Development of Curcumin, its Combinations and Formulations and Curcumin-like Compounds as Anti-infective Agents.
- Authors: Kannigadu C, N'Da DD
- Issue date: 2021
- Curcumin, a Natural Antimicrobial Agent with Strain-Specific Activity.
- Authors: Adamczak A, Ożarowski M, Karpiński TM
- Issue date: 2020 Jul 16
- Curcumin as a functional food-derived factor: degradation products, metabolites, bioactivity, and future perspectives.
- Authors: Tsuda T
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 21
- Curcumin Combats against Organophosphate Pesticides Toxicity: A Review of the Current Evidence and Molecular Pathways.
- Authors: Jafari-Nozad AM, Jafari A, Aschner M, Farkhondeh T, Samarghandian S
- Issue date: 2023
- Therapeutic potential of curcumin in gastrointestinal diseases.
- Authors: Rajasekaran SA
- Issue date: 2011 Feb 15