scSLAM-seq reveals core features of transcription dynamics in single cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Baptista, Marisa A P
Jürges, Christopher S
Theis, Fabian J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSingle-cell RNA sequencing (scRNA-seq) has highlighted the important role of intercellular heterogeneity in phenotype variability in both health and disease1. However, current scRNA-seq approaches provide only a snapshot of gene expression and convey little information on the true temporal dynamics and stochastic nature of transcription. A further key limitation of scRNA-seq analysis is that the RNA profile of each individual cell can be analysed only once. Here we introduce single-cell, thiol-(SH)-linked alkylation of RNA for metabolic labelling sequencing (scSLAM-seq), which integrates metabolic RNA labelling2, biochemical nucleoside conversion3 and scRNA-seq to record transcriptional activity directly by differentiating between new and old RNA for thousands of genes per single cell. We use scSLAM-seq to study the onset of infection with lytic cytomegalovirus in single mouse fibroblasts. The cell-cycle state and dose of infection deduced from old RNA enable dose-response analysis based on new RNA. scSLAM-seq thereby both visualizes and explains differences in transcriptional activity at the single-cell level. Furthermore, it depicts 'on-off' switches and transcriptional burst kinetics in host gene expression with extensive gene-specific differences that correlate with promoter-intrinsic features (TBP-TATA-box interactions and DNA methylation). Thus, gene-specific, and not cell-specific, features explain the heterogeneity in transcriptomes between individual cells and the transcriptional response to perturbations.
CitationNature. 2019 Jul;571(7765):419-423. doi: 10.1038/s41586-019-1369-y. Epub 2019 Jul 10.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Detection of high variability in gene expression from single-cell RNA-seq profiling.
- Authors: Chen HI, Jin Y, Huang Y, Chen Y
- Issue date: 2016 Aug 22
- Introduction to Single-Cell RNA Sequencing.
- Authors: Olsen TK, Baryawno N
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Advantages of Single-Nucleus over Single-Cell RNA Sequencing of Adult Kidney: Rare Cell Types and Novel Cell States Revealed in Fibrosis.
- Authors: Wu H, Kirita Y, Donnelly EL, Humphreys BD
- Issue date: 2019 Jan
- Recovery and analysis of transcriptome subsets from pooled single-cell RNA-seq libraries.
- Authors: Riemondy KA, Ransom M, Alderman C, Gillen AE, Fu R, Finlay-Schultz J, Kirkpatrick GD, Di Paola J, Kabos P, Sartorius CA, Hesselberth JR
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 28
- Data Analysis in Single-Cell Transcriptome Sequencing.
- Authors: Gao S
- Issue date: 2018