Polyunsaturated fatty acid production by Yarrowia lipolytica employing designed myxobacterial PUFA synthases.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Bernauer, Hubert S
Wenzel, Silke C
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractLong-chain polyunsaturated fatty acids (LC-PUFAs), particularly the omega-3 LC-PUFAs eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA), docosapentaenoic acid (DPA), and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA), have been associated with beneficial health effects. Consequently, sustainable sources have to be developed to meet the increasing demand for these PUFAs. Here, we demonstrate the design and construction of artificial PUFA biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs) encoding polyketide synthase-like PUFA synthases from myxobacteria adapted for the oleaginous yeast Yarrowia lipolytica. Genomic integration and heterologous expression of unmodified or hybrid PUFA BGCs yielded different yeast strains with specific LC-PUFA production profiles at promising yield and thus valuable for the biotechnological production of distinct PUFAs. Nutrient screening revealed a strong enhancement of PUFA production, when cells were phosphate limited. This represents, to the best of our knowledge, highest concentration of DHA (16.8 %) in total fatty acids among all published PUFA-producing Y. lipolytica strains.
CitationNat Commun. 2019 Sep 6;10(1):4055. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-12025-8.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
PublisherNature publishing Group
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Metabolic engineering of Pseudomonas putida for production of docosahexaenoic acid based on a myxobacterial PUFA synthase.
- Authors: Gemperlein K, Zipf G, Bernauer HS, Müller R, Wenzel SC
- Issue date: 2016 Jan
- Tandem acyl carrier protein domains in polyunsaturated fatty acid synthases.
- Authors: Jiang H, Rajski SR, Shen B
- Issue date: 2009
- Towards the Industrial Production of Omega-3 Long Chain Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids from a Genetically Modified Diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum.
- Authors: Hamilton ML, Warwick J, Terry A, Allen MJ, Napier JA, Sayanova O
- Issue date: 2015
- Production of omega-3 eicosapentaenoic acid by metabolic engineering of Yarrowia lipolytica.
- Authors: Xue Z, Sharpe PL, Hong SP, Yadav NS, Xie D, Short DR, Damude HG, Rupert RA, Seip JE, Wang J, Pollak DW, Bostick MW, Bosak MD, Macool DJ, Hollerbach DH, Zhang H, Arcilla DM, Bledsoe SA, Croker K, McCord EF, Tyreus BD, Jackson EN, Zhu Q
- Issue date: 2013 Aug
- Recent advances in biotechnological production of polyunsaturated fatty acids by Yarrowia lipolytica.
- Authors: Jia YL, Wang LR, Zhang ZX, Gu Y, Sun XM
- Issue date: 2022