Preferential uptake of chitosan-coated PLGA nanoparticles by primary human antigen presenting cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBiodegradable polymeric nanoparticles (NP) made from poly (lactid-co-glycolide) acid (PLGA) and chitosan (CS) hold promise as innovative formulations for targeted delivery. Since interactions of such NP with primary human immune cells have not been characterized, yet, here we assessed the effect of PLGA or CS-PLGA NP treatment on human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC), as well as on monocyte-derived DC (moDC). Amongst PBMC, antigen presenting cells (APC) showed higher uptake of both NP preparations than lymphocytes. Furthermore, moDC internalized CS-PLGA NP more efficiently than PLGA NP, presumably because of receptor-mediated endocytosis. Consequently, CS-PLGA NP were delivered mostly to endosomal compartments, whereas PLGA NP primarily ended up in lysosomes. Thus, CS-PLGA NP confer enhanced delivery to endosomal compartments of APC, offering new therapeutic options to either induce or modulate APC function and to inhibit pathogens that preferentially infect APC.
CitationNanomedicine. 2019 Jul 31;21:102073. doi: 10.1016/j.nano.2019.102073.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Nasal vaccination with N-trimethyl chitosan and PLGA based nanoparticles: nanoparticle characteristics determine quality and strength of the antibody response in mice against the encapsulated antigen.
- Authors: Slütter B, Bal S, Keijzer C, Mallants R, Hagenaars N, Que I, Kaijzel E, van Eden W, Augustijns P, Löwik C, Bouwstra J, Broere F, Jiskoot W
- Issue date: 2010 Aug 31
- Non-invasive delivery of nanoparticles to hair follicles: a perspective for transcutaneous immunization.
- Authors: Mittal A, Raber AS, Schaefer UF, Weissmann S, Ebensen T, Schulze K, Guzmán CA, Lehr CM, Hansen S
- Issue date: 2013 Jul 25
- Preparation and characterization of insulin-loaded bioadhesive PLGA nanoparticles for oral administration.
- Authors: Zhang X, Sun M, Zheng A, Cao D, Bi Y, Sun J
- Issue date: 2012 Apr 11
- Rational design of nanoparticles towards targeting antigen-presenting cells and improved T cell priming.
- Authors: Zupančič E, Curato C, Paisana M, Rodrigues C, Porat Z, Viana AS, Afonso CAM, Pinto J, Gaspar R, Moreira JN, Satchi-Fainaro R, Jung S, Florindo HF
- Issue date: 2017 Jul 28
- Chitosan Coating Effect on Cellular Uptake of PLGA Nanoparticles for Boron Neutron Capture Therapy.
- Authors: Takeuchi I, Ariyama M, Makino K
- Issue date: 2019 Apr 1