From Wood to Tetrahydro-2-benzazepines in Three Waste-Free Steps: Modular Synthesis of Biologically Active Lignin-Derived Scaffolds.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hirsch, Anna K H
MetadataShow full item record
Abstractnherently complex, lignin-derived aromatic monomers comprising valuable structural moieties present in many pharmaceuticals would serve as ideal substrates for the construction of biologically active molecules. Here, we describe a strategy that incorporates all intrinsic functional groups present in platform chemicals obtained by lignin depolymerization into value-added amines, using sustainable catalytic methods and benign solvents. Our strikingly efficient protocol provides access to libraries of aminoalkyl-phenol derivatives and seven-membered N-heterocycles directly from wood in two, respectively three, waste-free steps. Several molecules in these libraries have shown promising antibacterial or anticancer activities, emphasizing the advantage of this modular synthetic strategy and the potential for drug discovery. The sustainable catalytic pathways presented here can lead to significant benefits for the pharmaceutical industry where reduction of hazardous waste is a prime concern, and the described strategies that lead to high-value products from non-edible biomass waste streams also markedly increase the economic feasibility of lignocellulosic biorefineries.
CitationACS Cent Sci. 2019 Oct 23;5(10):1707-1716. doi: 10.1021/acscentsci.9b00781. Epub 2019 Oct 11.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
PublisherAmerican Society for Chemistry
JournalACS Central Science
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Formic-acid-induced depolymerization of oxidized lignin to aromatics.
- Authors: Rahimi A, Ulbrich A, Coon JJ, Stahl SS
- Issue date: 2014 Nov 13
- Catalytic Strategies Towards Lignin-Derived Chemicals.
- Authors: Van den Bosch S, Koelewijn SF, Renders T, Van den Bossche G, Vangeel T, Schutyser W, Sels BF
- Issue date: 2018 Aug 27
- Catalytic conversion of nonfood woody biomass solids to organic liquids.
- Authors: Barta K, Ford PC
- Issue date: 2014 May 20
- Hydrogen-free catalytic fractionation of woody biomass.
- Authors: Galkin MV, Smit AT, Subbotina E, Artemenko KA, Bergquist J, Huijgen WJ, Samec JS
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 8
- A Coenzyme-Free Biocatalyst for the Value-Added Utilization of Lignin-Derived Aromatics.
- Authors: Ni J, Wu YT, Tao F, Peng Y, Xu P
- Issue date: 2018 Nov 28