Semisynthesis and biological evaluation of amidochelocardin derivatives as broad-spectrum antibiotics.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Birudukota, N V Suryanarayana
Elgaher, Walid A M
Jumde, Ravindra P
Hartmann, Rolf W
Hirsch, Anna K H
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractTo address the global challenge of emerging antimicrobial resistance, the hitherto most successful strategy to new antibiotics has been the optimization of validated natural products; most of these efforts rely on semisynthesis. Herein, we report the semisynthetic modification of amidochelocardin, an atypical tetracycline obtained via genetic engineering of the chelocardin producer strain. We report modifications at C4, C7, C10 and C11 by the application of methylation, acylation, electrophilic substitution, and oxidative C-C coupling reactions. The antibacterial activity of the reaction products was tested against a panel of Gram-positive and Gram-negative pathogens. The emerging structure-activity relationships (SARs) revealed that positions C7 and C10 are favorable anchor points for the semisynthesis of optimized derivatives. The observed SAR was different from that known for tetracyclines, which underlines the pronounced differences between the two compound classes.
CitationEur J Med Chem. 2019 Dec 20;188:112005. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2019.112005.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Construction of a new class of tetracycline lead structures with potent antibacterial activity through biosynthetic engineering.
- Authors: Lešnik U, Lukežič T, Podgoršek A, Horvat J, Polak T, Šala M, Jenko B, Harmrolfs K, Ocampo-Sosa A, Martínez-Martínez L, Herron PR, Fujs Š, Kosec G, Hunter IS, Müller R, Petković H
- Issue date: 2015 Mar 23
- Synthesis and antibacterial activity of pentacyclines: a novel class of tetracycline analogs.
- Authors: Sun C, Hunt DK, Clark RB, Lofland D, O'Brien WJ, Plamondon L, Xiao XY
- Issue date: 2011 Jun 9
- Synthesis and biological evaluation of 8-aminomethyltetracycline derivatives as novel antibacterial agents.
- Authors: Clark RB, He M, Deng Y, Sun C, Chen CL, Hunt DK, O'Brien WJ, Fyfe C, Grossman TH, Sutcliffe JA, Achorn C, Hogan PC, Katz CE, Niu J, Zhang WY, Zhu Z, Ronn M, Xiao XY
- Issue date: 2013 Oct 24
- A convergent enantioselective route to structurally diverse 6-deoxytetracycline antibiotics.
- Authors: Charest MG, Lerner CD, Brubaker JD, Siegel DR, Myers AG
- Issue date: 2005 Apr 15
- 8-Azatetracyclines: synthesis and evaluation of a novel class of tetracycline antibacterial agents.
- Authors: Clark RB, He M, Fyfe C, Lofland D, O'Brien WJ, Plamondon L, Sutcliffe JA, Xiao XY
- Issue date: 2011 Mar 10