Herpes simplex virus blocks host transcription termination via the bimodal activities of ICP27.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Whisnant, Adam W
Prusty, Bhupesh K
Friedel, Caroline C
Sandri-Goldin, Rozanne M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractInfection by viruses, including herpes simplex virus-1 (HSV-1), and cellular stresses causewidespread disruption of transcription termination (DoTT) of RNA polymerase II (RNAPII) inhost genes. However, the underlying mechanisms remain unclear. Here, we demonstrate thatthe HSV-1 immediate early protein ICP27 induces DoTT by directly binding to the essentialmRNA 3’processing factor CPSF. It thereby induces the assembly of a dead-end 3’processing complex, blocking mRNA 3’cleavage. Remarkably, ICP27 also acts as a sequence-dependent activator of mRNA 3’processing for viral and a subset of host transcripts.Our results unravel a bimodal activity of ICP27 that plays a key role in HSV-1-induced hostshutoff and identify CPSF as an important factor that mediates regulation of transcriptiontermination. Thesefindings have broad implications for understanding the regulation oftranscription termination by other viruses, cellular stress and cancer.
CitationNat Commun. 2020 Jan 15;11(1):293. doi: 10.1038/s41467-019-14109-x.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
PublisherNature publishing group
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Mechanism and consequences of herpes simplex virus 1-mediated regulation of host mRNA alternative polyadenylation.
- Authors: Wang X, Liu L, Whisnant AW, Hennig T, Djakovic L, Haque N, Bach C, Sandri-Goldin RM, Erhard F, Friedel CC, Dölken L, Shi Y
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Processing of alpha-globin and ICP0 mRNA in cells infected with herpes simplex virus type 1 ICP27 mutants.
- Authors: Ellison KS, Rice SA, Verity R, Smiley JR
- Issue date: 2000 Aug
- Herpes Simplex Virus 1 Lytic Infection Blocks MicroRNA (miRNA) Biogenesis at the Stage of Nuclear Export of Pre-miRNAs.
- Authors: Pan D, Li G, Morris-Love J, Qi S, Feng L, Mertens ME, Jurak I, Knipe DM, Coen DM
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 12
- Association of herpes simplex virus type 1 ICP8 and ICP27 proteins with cellular RNA polymerase II holoenzyme.
- Authors: Zhou C, Knipe DM
- Issue date: 2002 Jun
- Herpes simplex virus ICP27 is required for virus-induced stabilization of the ARE-containing IEX-1 mRNA encoded by the human IER3 gene.
- Authors: Corcoran JA, Hsu WL, Smiley JR
- Issue date: 2006 Oct