Coupling quaternary ammonium surfactants to the surface of liposomes improves both antibacterial efficacy and host cell biocompatibility
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsMontefusco-Pereira, Carlos V.
Marrano, Claudia A.
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBy functionalizing the surface of PEG-liposomes with linkers bearing quaternary ammonium compounds (QACs), we generated novel bacteria disruptors with anti-adhesive properties and reduced cytotoxicity compared to free QACs. Furthermore, QAC-functionalized liposomes are a promising platform for future drug encapsulation. The QAC (11-mercaptoundecyl)-N,N,N-trimethylammonium bromide (MTAB) was attached to maleimide-functionalized liposomes (DSPE-PEG) via thiol linker. The MTAB-functionalized liposomes were physicochemically characterized and their biological activity, in terms of anti-adherence activity and biofilm prevention in Escherichia coli were assessed. The results showed that MTAB-functionalized liposomes inhibit bacterial adherence and biofilm formation while reducing MTAB toxicity.
CitationEur J Pharm Biopharm. 2020 Jan 30. pii: S0939-6411(20)30024-2. doi:10.1016/j.ejpb.2020.01.013.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Enhancing biodegradation of C16-alkyl quaternary ammonium compounds using an oxygen-based membrane biofilm reactor.
- Authors: Lai YS, Ontiveros-Valencia A, Ilhan ZE, Zhou Y, Miranda E, Maldonado J, Krajmalnik-Brown R, Rittmann BE
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 15
- Determination of the activity of maleimide-functionalized phospholipids during preparation of liposomes.
- Authors: Oswald M, Geissler S, Goepferich A
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 30
- Lipid-polymer hybrid nanoparticles as a new generation therapeutic delivery platform: a review.
- Authors: Hadinoto K, Sundaresan A, Cheow WS
- Issue date: 2013 Nov
- Resistance to phenicol compounds following adaptation to quaternary ammonium compounds in Escherichia coli.
- Authors: Soumet C, Fourreau E, Legrandois P, Maris P
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 6
- Surface Functionalization of Polyethersulfone Membrane with Quaternary Ammonium Salts for Contact-Active Antibacterial and Anti-Biofouling Properties.
- Authors: Hu X, Lin X, Zhao H, Chen Z, Yang J, Li F, Liu C, Tian F
- Issue date: 2016 May 17