[Assessment of self-reported cardiovascular and metabolic diseases in the German National Cohort (GNC, NAKO Gesundheitsstudie): methods and initial results].
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Greiser, Karin Halina
Michels, Karin B
Willich, Stefan N
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractBACKGROUND: Asthma is one of the most common chronic diseases in both children and adults. Asthma first occurring in adulthood (adult-onset asthma, AOA) is associated with poorer prognosis compared to childhood-onset asthma (COA), which urgently calls for more research in this area. The aim of this work was to analyze the data on asthma collected in the German National Cohort and compare it with the German Health Interview and Examination Survey for Adults (DEGS), in particular regarding AOA. MATERIAL AND METHODS: Our analysis was based on the dataset of the main questionnaire at mid-term of the German National Cohort baseline examination, comprising 101,723 participants. Variables considered in the analyses were self-reported diagnosis of asthma, age at first diagnosis, asthma treatment in the past 12 months, age, and sex. RESULTS: In the midterm dataset, 8.7% of women and 7.0% of men in the German National Cohort reported that they had ever been diagnosed with asthma. Approximately one third of participants with asthma received their initial diagnosis before their 18th birthday. COA affected 2.2% of women and 2.8% of men, whereas AOA affected 6.5% of women and 4.2% of men. During the previous 12 months, 33% of COA cases and 60% of AOA cases were medically treated. CONCLUSION: The proportion of persons affected by asthma in the German National Cohort, as well as observed patterns regarding age and gender, corresponds to other data sources such as DEGS. However, in our analysis, the proportion of individuals with AOA was higher than described in the literature. The increase in cumulative asthma diagnoses with age is markedly steeper in younger participants, indicating a rising trend over time.
CitationBundesgesundheitsblatt Gesundheitsforschung Gesundheitsschutz. 2020 Mar 3. pii: 10.1007/s00103-020-03105-y. doi: 10.1007/s00103-020-03105-y.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- [Self-reported cancer in the German National Cohort (NAKO Gesundheitsstudie): assessment methods and first results].
- Authors: Nimptsch K, Jaeschke L, Chang-Claude J, Kaaks R, Katzke V, Michels KB, Franzke CW, Obi N, Becher H, Kuß O, Schikowski T, Schulze MB, Gastell S, Hoffmann W, Schipf S, Ahrens W, Günther K, Krist L, Keil T, Jöckel KH, Schmidt B, Brenner H, Holleczek B, Fischer B, Leitzmann M, Lieb W, Berger K, Krause G, Löffler M, Schmidt-Pokrzywniak A, Mikolajczyk R, Linseisen J, Greiser KH, Pischon T
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- [Self-reported infections in the German National Cohort (GNC) in the context of the current research landscape].
- Authors: Hassenstein MJ, Aarabi G, Ahnert P, Becher H, Franzke CW, Fricke J, Krause G, Glöckner S, Gottschick C, Karch A, Kemmling Y, Kerrinnes T, Lange B, Mikolajczyk R, Nieters A, Ott JJ, Ahrens W, Berger K, Meinke-Franze C, Gastell S, Günther K, Greiser KH, Holleczek B, Horn J, Jaeschke L, Jagodzinski A, Jansen L, Jochem C, Jöckel KH, Kaaks R, Krist L, Kuß O, Langer S, Legath N, Leitzmann M, Lieb W, Loeffler M, Mangold N, Michels KB, Meisinger C, Obi N, Pischon T, Schikowski T, Schipf S, Schulze MB, Stang A, Waniek S, Wirkner K, Willich SN, Castell S
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- [Assessing incident cardiovascular and metabolic diseases in epidemiological cohort studies in Germany].
- Authors: Herrmann WJ, Weikert C, Bergmann M, Boeing H, Katzke VA, Kaaks R, Tiller D, Greiser KH, Heier M, Meisinger C, Schmidt CO, Neuhauser H, Heidemann C, Jünger C, Wild PS, Schramm SH, Jöckel KH, Dörr M, Pischon T
- Issue date: 2018 Apr
- Anti-nuclear autoantibodies in the general German population: prevalence and lack of association with selected cardiovascular and metabolic disorders-findings of a multicenter population-based study.
- Authors: Akmatov MK, Röber N, Ahrens W, Flesch-Janys D, Fricke J, Greiser H, Günther K, Kaaks R, Kemmling Y, Krone B, Linseisen J, Meisinger C, Moebus S, Obi N, Guzman CA, Conrad K, Pessler F
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 6
- [Socio-demographic and employment-related factors in the German National Cohort (GNC; NAKO Gesundheitsstudie)].
- Authors: Dragano N, Reuter M, Greiser KH, Becher H, Zeeb H, Mikolajczyk R, Kluttig A, Leitzmann M, Fischer B, Jöckel KH, Emmel C, Krause G, Castell S, Damms-Machado A, Obi N, Schikowski T, Kuss O, Hoffmann W, Schipf S, Pischon T, Jaeschke L, Krist L, Keil T, Lieb W, Holleczek B, Brenner H, Wirkner K, Loeffler M, Michels KB, Franzke CW, Peters A, Linseisen J, Berger K, Legath N, Ahrens W, Lampert T, Schmidt B
- Issue date: 2020 Mar