The guide sRNA sequence determines the activity level of box C/D RNPs.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
Abstract2'-O-rRNA methylation, which is essential in eukaryotes and archaea, is catalysed by the Box C/D RNP complex in an RNA-guided manner. Despite the conservation of the methylation sites, the abundance of site-specific modifications shows variability across species and tissues, suggesting that rRNA methylation may provide a means of controlling gene expression. As all Box C/D RNPs are thought to adopt a similar structure, it remains unclear how the methylation efficiency is regulated. Here, we provide the first structural evidence that, in the context of the Box C/D RNP, the affinity of the catalytic module fibrillarin for the substrate-guide helix is dependent on the RNA sequence outside the methylation site, thus providing a mechanism by which both the substrate and guide RNA sequences determine the degree of methylation. To reach this result, we develop an iterative structure-calculation protocol that exploits the power of integrative structural biology to characterize conformational ensembles.
CitationElife. 2020 Mar 23;9. pii: 50027. doi: 10.7554/eLife.50027.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstraße 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
PublishereLife Sciences Publications
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Structural features of the guide:target RNA duplex required for archaeal box C/D sRNA-guided nucleotide 2'-O-methylation.
- Authors: Appel CD, Maxwell ES
- Issue date: 2007 Jun
- Assembly of the archaeal box C/D sRNP can occur via alternative pathways and requires temperature-facilitated sRNA remodeling.
- Authors: Gagnon KT, Zhang X, Agris PF, Maxwell ES
- Issue date: 2006 Oct 6
- A novel Nop5-sRNA interaction that is required for efficient archaeal box C/D sRNP formation.
- Authors: Ghalei H, Hsiao HH, Urlaub H, Wahl MC, Watkins NJ
- Issue date: 2010 Dec
- Dynamic guide-target interactions contribute to sequential 2'-O-methylation by a unique archaeal dual guide box C/D sRNP.
- Authors: Singh SK, Gurha P, Gupta R
- Issue date: 2008 Jul
- The spatial-functional coupling of box C/D and C'/D' RNPs is an evolutionarily conserved feature of the eukaryotic box C/D snoRNP nucleotide modification complex.
- Authors: Qu G, van Nues RW, Watkins NJ, Maxwell ES
- Issue date: 2011 Jan