Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSmall RNAs (sRNAs) have been discovered in every bacterium examined and have been shown to play important roles in the regulation of a diverse range of behaviors, from metabolism to infection. However, despite a wide range of available techniques for discovering and validating sRNA regulatory interactions, only a minority of these molecules have been well characterized. In part, this is due to the nature of posttranscriptional regulation: the activity of an sRNA depends on the state of the transcriptome as a whole, so characterization is best carried out under the conditions in which it is naturally active. In this issue of mSystems, Arrieta-Ortiz and colleagues (M. L. Arrieta-Ortiz, C. Hafemeister, B. Shuster, N. S. Baliga, et al., mSystems 5:e00057-20, 2020, https://doi.org/10.1128/mSystems.00057-20) present a network inference approach based on estimating sRNA activity across transcriptomic compendia. This shows promise not only for identifying new sRNA regulatory interactions but also for pinpointing the conditions in which these interactions occur, providing a new avenue toward functional characterization of sRNAs.
CitationmSystems. 2020;5(3):e00422-20. Published 2020 Jun 2. doi:10.1128/mSystems.00422-20.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Inference of Bacterial Small RNA Regulatory Networks and Integration with Transcription Factor-Driven Regulatory Networks.
- Authors: Arrieta-Ortiz ML, Hafemeister C, Shuster B, Baliga NS, Bonneau R, Eichenberger P
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 2
- A Modular Genetic System for High-Throughput Profiling and Engineering of Multi-Target Small RNAs.
- Authors: Stimple SD, Lahiry A, Taris JE, Wood DW, Lease RA
- Issue date: 2018
- sRNA Target Prediction Organizing Tool (SPOT) Integrates Computational and Experimental Data To Facilitate Functional Characterization of Bacterial Small RNAs.
- Authors: King AM, Vanderpool CK, Degnan PH
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 30
- Redefining the Small Regulatory RNA Transcriptome in Streptococcus pneumoniae Serotype 2 Strain D39.
- Authors: Sinha D, Zimmer K, Cameron TA, Rusch DB, Winkler ME, De Lay NR
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 15
- Genome-wide Annotation, Identification, and Global Transcriptomic Analysis of Regulatory or Small RNA Gene Expression in Staphylococcus aureus.
- Authors: Carroll RK, Weiss A, Broach WH, Wiemels RE, Mogen AB, Rice KC, Shaw LN
- Issue date: 2016 Feb 9