Discovery of Small-Molecule Stabilizers of 14-3-3 Protein-Protein Interactions via Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsHartman, Alwin M
Elgaher, Walid A M
Andrei, Sebastian A
Hirsch, Anna K H
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractProtein-protein interactions (PPIs) play an important role in numerous biological processes such as cell-cycle regulation and multiple diseases. The family of 14-3-3 proteins is an attractive target as they serve as binding partner to various proteins and are therefore capable of regulating their biological activities. Discovering small-molecule modulators, in particular stabilizers, of such complexes via traditional screening approaches is a challenging task. Herein, we pioneered the first application of dynamic combinatorial chemistry (DCC) to a PPI target, to find modulators of 14-3-3 proteins. Evaluation of the amplified hits from the DCC experiments for their binding affinity via surface plasmon resonance (SPR), revealed that the low-micromolar (KD 15-16 μM) acylhydrazones are 14-3-3/synaptopodin PPI stabilizers. Thus, DCC appears to be ideally suited for the discovery of not only modulators but even the more elusive stabilizers of notoriously challenging PPIs.
CitationACS Med Chem Lett. 2020;11(5):1041-1046. Published 2020 Feb 28. doi:10.1021/acsmedchemlett.9b00541.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society (ACS)
JournalACS medicinal chemistry letters
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Potential Dental Biofilm Inhibitors: Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry Affords Sugar-Based Molecules that Target Bacterial Glucosyltransferase.
- Authors: Hartman AM, Jumde VR, Elgaher WAM, Te Poele EM, Dijkhuizen L, Hirsch AKH
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 8
- Emerging roles of allosteric modulators in the regulation of protein-protein interactions (PPIs): A new paradigm for PPI drug discovery.
- Authors: Ni D, Lu S, Zhang J
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Progress in discovery of small-molecule modulators of protein-protein interactions via fragment screening.
- Authors: Magee TV
- Issue date: 2015 Jun 15
- Target-directed Dynamic Combinatorial Chemistry: A Study on Potentials and Pitfalls as Exemplified on a Bacterial Target.
- Authors: Frei P, Pang L, Silbermann M, Eriş D, Mühlethaler T, Schwardt O, Ernst B
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 25
- Stabilization of protein-protein interactions in drug discovery.
- Authors: Andrei SA, Sijbesma E, Hann M, Davis J, O'Mahony G, Perry MWD, Karawajczyk A, Eickhoff J, Brunsveld L, Doveston RG, Milroy LG, Ottmann C
- Issue date: 2017 Sep