YBX1 Indirectly Targets Heterochromatin-Repressed Inflammatory Response-Related Apoptosis Genes through Regulating CBX5 mRNA.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
McHardy, Alice C
Hoell, Jessica I
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMedulloblastomas arise from undifferentiated precursor cells in the cerebellum and account for about 20% of all solid brain tumors during childhood; standard therapies include radiation and chemotherapy, which oftentimes come with severe impairment of the cognitive development of the young patients. Here, we show that the posttranscriptional regulator Y-box binding protein 1 (YBX1), a DNA- and RNA-binding protein, acts as an oncogene in medulloblastomas by regulating cellular survival and apoptosis. We observed different cellular responses upon YBX1 knockdown in several medulloblastoma cell lines, with significantly altered transcription and subsequent apoptosis rates. Mechanistically, PAR-CLIP for YBX1 and integration with RNA-Seq data uncovered direct posttranscriptional control of the heterochromatin-associated gene CBX5; upon YBX1 knockdown and subsequent CBX5 mRNA instability, heterochromatin-regulated genes involved in inflammatory response, apoptosis and death receptor signaling were de-repressed. Thus, YBX1 acts as an oncogene in medulloblastoma through indirect transcriptional regulation of inflammatory genes regulating apoptosis and represents a promising novel therapeutic target in this tumor entity.
CitationInt J Mol Sci. 2020;21(12):4453. Published 2020 Jun 23. doi:10.3390/ijms21124453.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Expanding the map of protein-RNA interaction sites via cell fusion followed by PAR-CLIP.
- Authors: Hinze F, Drewe-Boss P, Milek M, Ohler U, Landthaler M, Gotthardt M
- Issue date: 2018 Mar 4
- Role of post-translational modification of the Y box binding protein 1 in human cancers.
- Authors: Prabhu L, Hartley AV, Martin M, Warsame F, Sun E, Lu T
- Issue date: 2015 Sep
- YBX1 gene silencing inhibits migratory and invasive potential via CORO1C in breast cancer in vitro.
- Authors: Lim JP, Shyamasundar S, Gunaratne J, Scully OJ, Matsumoto K, Bay BH
- Issue date: 2017 Mar 16
- <i>LINC00857</i> Interacting with YBX1 to Regulate Apoptosis and Autophagy via MET and Phosphor-AMPKa Signaling.
- Authors: Su W, Wang L, Zhao H, Hu S, Zhou Y, Guo C, Wu B, Li L, Yang Z, Beer DG, Chen G
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 4
- YBX1 expression and function in early hematopoiesis and leukemic cells.
- Authors: Bhullar J, Sollars VE
- Issue date: 2011 Jun