Novel 15-Lipoxygenase-1 Inhibitor Protects Macrophages from Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Cytotoxicity.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Verhoek, Iris C
Prins, Gerian G H
van der Vlag, Ramon
van der Wouden, Petra E
van Merkerk, Ronald
Quax, Wim J
Hirsch, Anna K H
Dekker, Frank J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractVarious mechanisms for regulated cell death include the formation of oxidative mediators such as lipid peroxides and nitric oxide (NO). In this respect, 15-lipoxygenase-1 (15-LOX-1) is a key enzyme that catalyzes the formation of lipid peroxides. The actions of these peroxides are interconnected with nuclear factor-κB signaling and NO production. Inhibition of 15-LOX-1 holds promise to interfere with regulated cell death in inflammatory conditions. In this study, a novel potent 15-LOX-1 inhibitor, 9c (i472), was developed and structure-activity relationships were explored. In vitro, this inhibitor protected cells from lipopolysaccharide-induced cell death, inhibiting NO formation and lipid peroxidation. Thus, we provide a novel 15-LOX-1 inhibitor that inhibits cellular NO production and lipid peroxidation, which set the stage for further exploration of these mechanisms.
CitationJ Med Chem. 2019;62(9):4624-4637. doi:10.1021/acs.jmedchem.9b00212.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
JournalJournal of medicinal chemistry
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Design, synthesis, biological evaluation and docking studies of new 3-(4,5-dihydro-1H-pyrazol/isoxazol-5-yl)-2-phenyl-1H-indole derivatives as potent antioxidants and 15-lipoxygenase inhibitors.
- Authors: ElBordiny HS, El-Miligy MM, Kassab SE, Daabees H, Mohamed Ali WA, Abdelhamid Mohamed El-Hawash S
- Issue date: 2018 Feb 10
- Lipoxygenase inhibitors protect acute lymphoblastic leukemia cells from ferroptotic cell death.
- Authors: Probst L, Dächert J, Schenk B, Fulda S
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 15
- Caffeic acid phenethyl ester protects mice from lethal endotoxin shock and inhibits lipopolysaccharide-induced cyclooxygenase-2 and inducible nitric oxide synthase expression in RAW 264.7 macrophages via the p38/ERK and NF-kappaB pathways.
- Authors: Jung WK, Choi I, Lee DY, Yea SS, Choi YH, Kim MM, Park SG, Seo SK, Lee SW, Lee CM, Park YM, Choi IW
- Issue date: 2008
- Inhibition of 12/15-Lipoxygenase Protects Against β-Cell Oxidative Stress and Glycemic Deterioration in Mouse Models of Type 1 Diabetes.
- Authors: Hernandez-Perez M, Chopra G, Fine J, Conteh AM, Anderson RM, Linnemann AK, Benjamin C, Nelson JB, Benninger KS, Nadler JL, Maloney DJ, Tersey SA, Mirmira RG
- Issue date: 2017 Nov
- Inhibition of COX-2 and NF-κB1 Gene Expression, NO Production, 5-LOX, and COX-1 and COX-2 Enzymes by Extracts and Constituents of Onopordum acanthium.
- Authors: Lajter I, Pan SP, Nikles S, Ortmann S, Vasas A, Csupor-Löffler B, Forgó P, Hohmann J, Bauer R
- Issue date: 2015 Sep