Molecular Phylogeny and Morphology of (=Lepteutypa ) (Amphisphaeriaceae).
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSamarakoon, Milan C
Maharachchikumbura, Sajeewa S N
Liu, Jian-Kui Jack
Hyde, Kevin D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAmphisphaeriaceous taxa (fungi) are saprobes on decaying wood in terrestrial, mangrove, and freshwater habitats. The generic boundaries of the family have traditionally been based on morphology, and the delimitation of genera has always been challenging. Amphisphaeria species have clypeate ascomata and 1-septate ascospores and a coelomycetous asexual morph. Lepteutypa is different from Amphisphaeria in having eutypoid stromata and more than 1-septate ascospores. These main characters have been used for segregation of Lepteutypa from Amphisphaeria for a long time. However, the above characters are overlapping among Amphisphaeria and Lepteutypa species. Therefore, here we synonymized Lepteutypa under Amphisphaeria based on holomorphic morphology and multigene phylogeny. Further, our cluster analysis reveals the relationship between seven morphological traits among Amphisphaeria/Lepteutypa species and suggests those morphologies are not specific to either genus. Three new species (i.e., Amphisphaeria camelliae, A. curvaticonidia, and A. micheliae) are introduced based on morphology and LSU-ITS-RPB2-TUB2 phylogenies. Furthermore, the monotypic genus Trochilispora, which had been accepted in Amphisphaeriaceae, is revisited and synonymized under Hymenopleella and placed in Sporocadaceae.
CitationJ Fungi (Basel). 2020 Sep 17;6(3):E174. doi: 10.3390/jof6030174.
AffiliationHZI, Helmholtz Zentrum für Infektionsforschung, GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Resolution of morphology-based taxonomic delusions: Acrocordiella, Basiseptospora, Blogiascospora, Clypeosphaeria, Hymenopleella, Lepteutypa, Pseudapiospora, Requienella, Seiridium and Strickeria.
- Authors: Jaklitsch WM, Gardiennet A, Voglmayr H
- Issue date: 2016 Dec
- Sporocadaceae, a family of coelomycetous fungi with appendage-bearing conidia.
- Authors: Liu F, Bonthond G, Groenewald JZ, Cai L, Crous PW
- Issue date: 2019 Mar
- A new genus of Bambusicolaceae (Pleosporales) on Corylus avellana (Fagales) from Italy.
- Authors: Wijesinghe SN, Wang Y, Camporesi E, Wanasinghe DN, Boonmee S, Hyde KD
- Issue date: 2020
- Allelochaeta (Sporocadaceae): pigmentation lost and gained.
- Authors: Crous PW, Liu F, Cai L, Barber PA, Thangavel R, Summerell BA, Wingfield MJ, Edwards J, Carnegie AJ, Groenewald JZ
- Issue date: 2018 Dec
- Molecular systematics of the Amphisphaeriaceae based on cladistic analyses of partial LSU rDNA gene sequences.
- Authors: Jeewon R, Liew EC, Hyde KD
- Issue date: 2003 Dec