Global discovery of bacterial RNA-binding proteins by RNase-sensitive gradient profiles reports a new FinO domain protein.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRNA-binding proteins (RBPs) play important roles in bacterial gene expression and physiology but their true number and functional scope remain little understood even in model microbes. To advance global RBP discovery in bacteria, we here establish glycerol gradient sedimentation with RNase treatment and mass spectrometry (GradR). Applied to Salmonella enterica, GradR confirms many known RBPs such as CsrA, Hfq, and ProQ by their RNase-sensitive sedimentation profiles, and discovers the FopA protein as a new member of the emerging family of FinO/ProQ-like RBPs. FopA, encoded on resistance plasmid pCol1B9, primarily targets a small RNA associated with plasmid replication. The target suite of FopA dramatically differs from the related global RBP ProQ, revealing context-dependent selective RNA recognition by FinO-domain RBPs. Numerous other unexpected RNase-induced changes in gradient profiles suggest that cellular RNA helps to organize macromolecular complexes in bacteria. By enabling poly(A)-independent generic RBP discovery, GradR provides an important element in the quest to build a comprehensive catalog of microbial RBPs.
CitationRNA. 2020 Oct;26(10):1448-1463. doi: 10.1261/rna.076992.120.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
JournalRNA (New York, N.Y.)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- ProQ/FinO-domain proteins: another ubiquitous family of RNA matchmakers?
- Authors: Olejniczak M, Storz G
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- CLIP-Seq in Bacteria: Global Recognition Patterns of Bacterial RNA-Binding Proteins.
- Authors: Andresen L, Holmqvist E
- Issue date: 2018
- The Major RNA-Binding Protein ProQ Impacts Virulence Gene Expression in Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium.
- Authors: Westermann AJ, Venturini E, Sellin ME, Förstner KU, Hardt WD, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 2
- RNA-binding activity and regulatory functions of the emerging sRNA-binding protein ProQ.
- Authors: Holmqvist E, Berggren S, Rizvanovic A
- Issue date: 2020 Sep
- Grad-seq guides the discovery of ProQ as a major small RNA-binding protein.
- Authors: Smirnov A, Förstner KU, Holmqvist E, Otto A, Günster R, Becher D, Reinhardt R, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2016 Oct 11