SARS-CoV-2 outbreak investigation in a German meat processing plant.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Brinkmann, Melanie M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractWe describe a multifactorial investigation of a SARS-CoV-2 outbreak in a large meat processing complex in Germany. Infection event timing, spatial, climate and ventilation conditions in the processing plant, sharing of living quarters and transport, and viral genome sequences were analyzed. Our results suggest that a single index case transmitted SARS-CoV-2 to co-workers over distances of more than 8 meters, within a confined work area in which air is constantly recirculated and cooled. Viral genome sequencing shows that all cases share a set of mutations representing a novel sub-branch in the SARS-CoV-2 C20 clade. We identified the same set of mutations in samples collected in the time period between this initial infection cluster and a subsequent outbreak within the same factory, with the largest number of confirmed SARS-CoV-2 cases in a German meat processing facility reported so far. Our results indicate climate conditions, fresh air exchange rates, and airflow as factors that can promote efficient spread of SARS-CoV-2 via long distances and provide insights into possible requirements for pandemic mitigation strategies in industrial workplace settings.
CitationEMBO Mol Med. 2020 Oct 4:e13296. doi: 10.15252/emmm.202013296.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalEMBO molecular medicine
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Investigation of superspreading COVID-19 outbreak events in meat and poultry processing plants in Germany: A cross-sectional study.
- Authors: Pokora R, Kutschbach S, Weigl M, Braun D, Epple A, Lorenz E, Grund S, Hecht J, Hollich H, Rietschel P, Schneider F, Sohmen R, Taylor K, Dienstbuehl I
- Issue date: 2021
- Effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of four different strategies for SARS-CoV-2 surveillance in the general population (CoV-Surv Study): a structured summary of a study protocol for a cluster-randomised, two-factorial controlled trial.
- Authors: Deckert A, Anders S, de Allegri M, Nguyen HT, Souares A, McMahon S, Boerner K, Meurer M, Herbst K, Sand M, Koeppel L, Siems T, Brugnara L, Brenner S, Burk R, Lou D, Kirrmaier D, Duan Y, Ovchinnikova S, Marx M, Kräusslich HG, Knop M, Bärnighausen T, Denkinger C
- Issue date: 2021 Jan 8
- Nosocomial Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 in a "Non-COVID-19" Hospital Ward: Virus Genome Sequencing as a Key Tool to Understand Cryptic Transmission.
- Authors: Borges V, Isidro J, Macedo F, Neves J, Silva L, Paiva M, Barata J, Catarino J, Ciobanu L, Duarte S, Vieira L, Guiomar R, Gomes JP
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 1
- Detection of SARS-CoV-2 within the healthcare environment: a multi-centre study conducted during the first wave of the COVID-19 outbreak in England.
- Authors: Moore G, Rickard H, Stevenson D, Aranega-Bou P, Pitman J, Crook A, Davies K, Spencer A, Burton C, Easterbrook L, Love HE, Summers S, Welch SR, Wand N, Thompson KA, Pottage T, Richards KS, Dunning J, Bennett A
- Issue date: 2021 Feb
- Community Outbreak Investigation of SARS-CoV-2 Transmission Among Bus Riders in Eastern China.
- Authors: Shen Y, Li C, Dong H, Wang Z, Martinez L, Sun Z, Handel A, Chen Z, Chen E, Ebell MH, Wang F, Yi B, Wang H, Wang X, Wang A, Chen B, Qi Y, Liang L, Li Y, Ling F, Chen J, Xu G
- Issue date: 2020 Dec 1