Diversely Functionalised Cytochalasins through Mutasynthesis and Semi-Synthesis.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Stradal, Theresia E B
Skellam, Elizabeth J
Cox, Russell J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMutasynthesis of pyrichalasin H from Magnaporthe grisea NI980 yielded a series of unprecedented 4'-substituted cytochalasin analogues in titres as high as the wild-type system (≈60 mg L-1 ). Halogenated, O-alkyl, O-allyl and O-propargyl examples were formed, as well as a 4'-azido analogue. 4'-O-Propargyl and 4'-azido analogues reacted smoothly in Huisgen cycloaddition reactions, whereas p-Br and p-I compounds reacted in Pd-catalysed cross-coupling reactions. A series of examples of biotin-linked, dye-linked and dimeric cytochalasins was rapidly created. In vitro and in vivo bioassays of these compounds showed that the 4'-halogenated and azido derivatives retained their cytotoxicity and antifungal activities; but a unique 4'-amino analogue was inactive. Attachment of larger substituents attenuated the bioactivities. In vivo actin-binding studies with adherent mammalian cells showed that actin remains the likely intracellular target. Dye-linked compounds revealed visualisation of intracellular actin structures even in the absence of phalloidin, thus constituting a potential new class of actin-visualisation tools with filament-barbed end-binding specificity.
CitationChemistry. 2020 Jun 2. doi: 10.1002/chem.202002241.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Targeted Gene Inactivations Expose Silent Cytochalasans in Magnaporthe grisea NI980.
- Authors: Wang C, Hantke V, Cox RJ, Skellam E
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 7
- Effects of cytochalasin and phalloidin on actin.
- Authors: Cooper JA
- Issue date: 1987 Oct
- Correlation between effects of 24 different cytochalasins on cellular structures and cellular events and those on actin in vitro.
- Authors: Yahara I, Harada F, Sekita S, Yoshihira K, Natori S
- Issue date: 1982 Jan
- Actin-Dynamics in Plant Cells: The Function of Actin-Perturbing Substances: Jasplakinolide, Chondramides, Phalloidin, Cytochalasins, and Latrunculins.
- Authors: Holzinger A, Blaas K
- Issue date: 2016
- Actin assembly activity of cytochalasins and cytochalasin analogs assayed using fluorescence photobleaching recovery.
- Authors: Walling EA, Krafft GA, Ware BR
- Issue date: 1988 Jul