B Cell Speed and B-FDC Contacts in Germinal Centers Determine Plasma Cell Output via Swiprosin-1/EFhd2.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Schulz, Sebastian R
Hauser, Anja E
Niesner, Raluca A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlasma cells secreting affinity-matured antibodies develop in germinal centers (GCs), where B cells migrate persistently and directionally over defined periods of time. How modes of GC B cell migration influence plasma cell development remained unclear. Through genetic deletion of the F-actin bundling protein Swiprosin-1/EF-hand domain family member 2 (EFhd2) and by two-photon microscopy, we show that EFhd2 restrains B cell speed in GCs and hapten-specific plasma cell output. Modeling the GC reaction reveals that increasing GC B cell speed promotes plasma cell generation. Lack of EFhd2 also reduces contacts of GC B cells with follicular dendritic cells in vivo. Computational modeling uncovers that both GC output and antibody affinity depend quantitatively on contacts of GC B cells with follicular dendritic cells when B cells migrate more persistently. Collectively, our data explain how GC B cells integrate speed and persistence of cell migration with B cell receptor affinity.
CitationCell Rep. 2020 Aug 11;32(6):108030. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2020.108030.
AffiliationBRICS, Braunschweiger Zentrum für Systembiologie, Rebenring 56,38106 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Swiprosin-1/EFhd2 limits germinal center responses and humoral type 2 immunity.
- Authors: Brachs S, Turqueti-Neves A, Stein M, Reimer D, Brachvogel B, Bösl M, Winkler T, Voehringer D, Jäck HM, Mielenz D
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- Fraternal twins: Swiprosin-1/EFhd2 and Swiprosin-2/EFhd1, two homologous EF-hand containing calcium binding adaptor proteins with distinct functions.
- Authors: Dütting S, Brachs S, Mielenz D
- Issue date: 2011 Jan 18
- Structural mechanism underlying regulation of human EFhd2/Swiprosin-1 actin-bundling activity by Ser183 phosphorylation.
- Authors: Park KR, An JY, Kang JY, Lee JG, Lee Y, Mun SA, Jun CD, Song WK, Eom SH
- Issue date: 2017 Jan 29
- Structural implications of Ca<sup>2+</sup>-dependent actin-bundling function of human EFhd2/Swiprosin-1.
- Authors: Park KR, Kwon MS, An JY, Lee JG, Youn HS, Lee Y, Kang JY, Kim TG, Lim JJ, Park JS, Lee SH, Song WK, Cheong HK, Jun CD, Eom SH
- Issue date: 2016 Dec 15
- AID-expressing germinal center B cells cluster normally within lymph node follicles in the absence of FDC-M1+ CD35+ follicular dendritic cells but dissipate prematurely.
- Authors: Boulianne B, Le MX, Ward LA, Meng L, Haddad D, Li C, Martin A, Gommerman JL
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1