B Cell Speed and B-FDC Contacts in Germinal Centers Determine Plasma Cell Output via Swiprosin-1/EFhd2.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Schulz, Sebastian R
Hauser, Anja E
Niesner, Raluca A
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPlasma cells secreting affinity-matured antibodies develop in germinal centers (GCs), where B cells migrate persistently and directionally over defined periods of time. How modes of GC B cell migration influence plasma cell development remained unclear. Through genetic deletion of the F-actin bundling protein Swiprosin-1/EF-hand domain family member 2 (EFhd2) and by two-photon microscopy, we show that EFhd2 restrains B cell speed in GCs and hapten-specific plasma cell output. Modeling the GC reaction reveals that increasing GC B cell speed promotes plasma cell generation. Lack of EFhd2 also reduces contacts of GC B cells with follicular dendritic cells in vivo. Computational modeling uncovers that both GC output and antibody affinity depend quantitatively on contacts of GC B cells with follicular dendritic cells when B cells migrate more persistently. Collectively, our data explain how GC B cells integrate speed and persistence of cell migration with B cell receptor affinity.
CitationCell Rep. 2020 Aug 11;32(6):108030. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2020.108030.
AffiliationBRICS, Braunschweiger Zentrum für Systembiologie, Rebenring 56,38106 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Swiprosin-1/EFhd2 limits germinal center responses and humoral type 2 immunity.
- Authors: Brachs S, Turqueti-Neves A, Stein M, Reimer D, Brachvogel B, Bösl M, Winkler T, Voehringer D, Jäck HM, Mielenz D
- Issue date: 2014 Nov
- AID-expressing germinal center B cells cluster normally within lymph node follicles in the absence of FDC-M1+ CD35+ follicular dendritic cells but dissipate prematurely.
- Authors: Boulianne B, Le MX, Ward LA, Meng L, Haddad D, Li C, Martin A, Gommerman JL
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 1
- A Novel Image Analysis Approach Reveals a Role for Complement Receptors 1 and 2 in Follicular Dendritic Cell Organization in Germinal Centers.
- Authors: Anania JC, Westin A, Adler J, Heyman B
- Issue date: 2021
- Toll-like receptor 3 ligand and retinoic acid enhance germinal center formation and increase the tetanus toxoid vaccine response.
- Authors: Ma Y, Ross AC
- Issue date: 2009 Oct
- Follicular dendritic cell secreted protein (FDC-SP) regulates germinal center and antibody responses.
- Authors: Al-Alwan M, Du Q, Hou S, Nashed B, Fan Y, Yang X, Marshall AJ
- Issue date: 2007 Jun 15