Opuntisines, 14-membered cyclopeptide alkaloids from fruits of Opuntia stricta var. dillenii isolated by high-performance countercurrent chromatography.
zipped file with figures
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Minh Thi Tran, Thu
Moussa-Ayoub, Tamer E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracts of Opuntia stricta var. dillenii fruits were fractionated by semi-preparative high-performance countercurrent chromatography (HPCCC) to study the secondary metabolite formation, whereby HPCCC showed a superior separation capacity to fractionate minor metabolites compared to HPLC. A family of new peptides was detected in semi-polar fractions when monitoring the HPCCC separation by off-line injections of fractions to ESI-MS/MS. Planar structures of the major compounds, two 14-ring-membered cyclopeptide alkaloids, which were named opuntisines A and B, were elucidated by 1D- and 2D-NMR spectroscopy and HR-ESI-MS/MS spectrometry, while a combination of chemical derivatisation and degradation revealed the stereo-configurations. Specifically, the methods of Marfey and Mosher indicated l-Glu, l-Ile, l-Phe and 1S-configurations, respectively; ROESY correlations revealed 8S, 9S. The novel opuntisine A showed moderate activity against the Gram-negative bacterium Escherichia coli, but no further antibacterial, antifungal nor cytotoxic effects. This bioactive natural product class is reported for the first time in the plant family Cactaceae.
CitationFood Chem. 2021 Jan 1;334:127552. doi: 10.1016/j.foodchem.2020.127552. Epub 2020 Jul 13.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Profiling of polar metabolites in fruits of Opuntia stricta var. dillenii by ion-pair high-performance countercurrent chromatography and off-line electrospray mass-spectrometry injection.
- Authors: Thi Tran TM, Nguyen Thanh B, Moussa-Ayoub TE, Rohn S, Jerz G
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 13
- Electrospray mass-spectrometry guided target isolation of neolignans from Nectandra leucantha (Lauraceae) by high performance- and spiral-coil countercurrent chromatography.
- Authors: Dos Santos Grecco S, Letsyo E, Tempone AG, Ghilardi Lago JH, Jerz G
- Issue date: 2019 Dec 20
- Flavonoids from the flowers of Impatiens glandulifera Royle isolated by high performance countercurrent chromatography.
- Authors: Vieira MN, Winterhalter P, Jerz G
- Issue date: 2016 Mar-Apr
- Isolation and structure elucidation of cyclopeptide alkaloids from Ziziphus nummularia and Ziziphus spina-christi by HPLC-DAD-MS and HPLC-PDA-(HRMS)-SPE-NMR.
- Authors: Tuenter E, Foubert K, Staerk D, Apers S, Pieters L
- Issue date: 2017 Jun
- Separation of nine novel triterpene saponins from Camellia japonica seeds using high-performance countercurrent chromatography and reversed-phase high-performance liquid chromatography.
- Authors: Rho T, Choi SJ, Kil HW, Ko J, Yoon KD
- Issue date: 2019 Mar