Cyclin D3 drives inertial cell cycling in dark zone germinal center B cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Castro, Tiago B R
Allon, Samuel J
Shalek, Alex K
Victora, Gabriel D
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractDuring affinity maturation, germinal center (GC) B cells alternate between proliferation and somatic hypermutation in the dark zone (DZ) and affinity-dependent selection in the light zone (LZ). This anatomical segregation imposes that the vigorous proliferation that allows clonal expansion of positively selected GC B cells takes place ostensibly in the absence of the signals that triggered selection in the LZ, as if by "inertia." We find that such inertial cycles specifically require the cell cycle regulator cyclin D3. Cyclin D3 dose-dependently controls the extent to which B cells proliferate in the DZ and is essential for effective clonal expansion of GC B cells in response to strong T follicular helper (Tfh) cell help. Introduction into the Ccnd3 gene of a Burkitt lymphoma-associated gain-of-function mutation (T283A) leads to larger GCs with increased DZ proliferation and, in older mice, clonal B cell lymphoproliferation, suggesting that the DZ inertial cell cycle program can be coopted by B cells undergoing malignant transformation.
CitationThe Journal of Experimental Medicine. 2021 Apr;218(4). DOI: 10.1084/jem.20201699.
AffiliationBRICS, Braunschweiger Zentrum für Systembiologie, Rebenring 56,38106 Braunschweig, Germany.
PublisherRockefeller University Press
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
- Cyclin D3 Governs Clonal Expansion of Dark Zone Germinal Center B Cells.
- Authors: Ramezani-Rad P, Chen C, Zhu Z, Rickert RC
- Issue date: 2020 Nov 17
- Germinal Center Selection and Affinity Maturation Require Dynamic Regulation of mTORC1 Kinase.
- Authors: Ersching J, Efeyan A, Mesin L, Jacobsen JT, Pasqual G, Grabiner BC, Dominguez-Sola D, Sabatini DM, Victora GD
- Issue date: 2017 Jun 20
- Germinal Center Reaction.
- Authors: Huang C
- Issue date: 2020
- Germinal center dynamics revealed by multiphoton microscopy with a photoactivatable fluorescent reporter.
- Authors: Victora GD, Schwickert TA, Fooksman DR, Kamphorst AO, Meyer-Hermann M, Dustin ML, Nussenzweig MC
- Issue date: 2010 Nov 12
- Germinal center centroblasts transition to a centrocyte phenotype according to a timed program and depend on the dark zone for effective selection.
- Authors: Bannard O, Horton RM, Allen CD, An J, Nagasawa T, Cyster JG
- Issue date: 2013 Nov 14