Single-Nucleotide RNA Maps for the Two Major Nosocomial Pathogens Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus faecium
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Hansen, Elisabeth E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractEnterococcus faecalis and faecium are two major representative clinical strains of the Enterococcus genus and are sadly notorious to be part of the top agents responsible for nosocomial infections. Despite their critical implication in worldwide public healthcare, essential and available resources such as deep transcriptome annotations remain poor, which also limits our understanding of post-transcriptional control small regulatory RNA (sRNA) functions in these bacteria. Here, using the dRNA-seq technique in combination with ANNOgesic analysis, we successfully mapped and annotated transcription start sites (TSS) of both E. faecalis V583 and E. faecium AUS0004 at single nucleotide resolution. Analyzing bacteria in late exponential phase, we capture ~40% (E. faecalis) and 43% (E. faecium) of the annotated protein-coding genes, determine 5' and 3' UTR (untranslated region) length, and detect instances of leaderless mRNAs. The transcriptome maps revealed sRNA candidates in both bacteria, some found in previous studies and new ones. Expression of candidate sRNAs is being confirmed under biologically relevant environmental conditions. This comprehensive global TSS mapping atlas provides a valuable resource for RNA biology and gene expression analysis in the Enterococci. It can be accessed online at www.helmholtz-hiri.de/en/datasets/enterococcus through an instance of the genomic viewer JBrowse.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Small RNAs in vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium involved in daptomycin response and resistance.
- Authors: Sinel C, Augagneur Y, Sassi M, Bronsard J, Cacaci M, Guérin F, Sanguinetti M, Meignen P, Cattoir V, Felden B
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 11
- Investigating the mobilome in clinically important lineages of Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis.
- Authors: Mikalsen T, Pedersen T, Willems R, Coque TM, Werner G, Sadowy E, van Schaik W, Jensen LB, Sundsfjord A, Hegstad K
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 10
- [Investigation of Antibiotic Resistance and Virulence Factors of Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis Strains Isolated from Clinical Samples].
- Authors: Gök ŞM, Türk Dağı H, Kara F, Arslan U, Fındık D
- Issue date: 2020 Jan
- [Evaluation of virulence factors in enterococcus species].
- Authors: Mete E, Kaleli İ, Cevahir N, Demir M, Akkaya Y, Kiriş Satılmış Ö
- Issue date: 2017 Apr
- Occurrence of Enterococcus faecalis and Enterococcus faecium in Various Clinical Infections: Detection of Their Drug Resistance and Virulence Determinants.
- Authors: Jahansepas A, Aghazadeh M, Rezaee MA, Hasani A, Sharifi Y, Aghazadeh T, Mardaneh J
- Issue date: 2018 Jan/Feb