Cultivation-Independent Analysis of the Bacterial Community Associated With the Calcareous Sponge and Isolation of Poriferisphaera corsica Gen. Nov., Sp. Nov., Belonging to the Barely Studied Class in the Phylum Planctomycetes.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Jetten, Mike S M
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMarine ecosystems serve as global carbon sinks and nutrient source or breeding ground for aquatic animals. Sponges are ancient parts of these important ecosystems and can be found in caves, the deep-sea, clear waters, or more turbid environments. Here, we studied the bacterial community composition of the calcareous sponge Clathrina clathrus sampled close to the island Corsica in the Mediterranean Sea with an emphasis on planctomycetes. We show that the phylum Planctomycetes accounts for 9% of the C. clathrus-associated bacterial community, a 5-fold enrichment compared to the surrounding seawater. Indeed, the use of C. clathrus as a yet untapped source of novel planctomycetal strains led to the isolation of strain KS4T. The strain represents a novel genus and species within the class Phycisphaerae in the phylum Planctomycetes and displays interesting cell biological features, such as formation of outer membrane vesicles and an unexpected mode of cell division.
CitationFront Microbiol. 2020 Dec 22;11:602250. doi: 10.3389/fmicb.2020.602250.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
JournalFrontiers in microbiology
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- <i>Fuerstia marisgermanicae</i> gen. nov., sp. nov., an Unusual Member of the Phylum Planctomycetes from the German Wadden Sea.
- Authors: Kohn T, Heuer A, Jogler M, Vollmers J, Boedeker C, Bunk B, Rast P, Borchert D, Glöckner I, Freese HM, Klenk HP, Overmann J, Kaster AK, Rohde M, Wiegand S, Jogler C
- Issue date: 2016
- Analysis of Bacterial Communities on North Sea Macroalgae and Characterization of the Isolated Planctomycetes <i>Adhaeretor mobilis</i> gen. nov., sp. nov., <i>Roseimaritima multifibrata</i> sp. nov., <i>Rosistilla ulvae</i> sp. nov. and <i>Rubripirellula lacrimiformis</i> sp. nov.
- Authors: Wiegand S, Rast P, Kallscheuer N, Jogler M, Heuer A, Boedeker C, Jeske O, Kohn T, Vollmers J, Kaster AK, Quast C, Glöckner FO, Rohde M, Jogler C
- Issue date: 2021 Jul 13
- Analysis of bacterial communities in a municipal duck pond during a phytoplankton bloom and isolation of Anatilimnocola aggregata gen. nov., sp. nov., Lacipirellula limnantheis sp. nov. and Urbifossiella limnaea gen. nov., sp. nov. belonging to the phylum Planctomycetes.
- Authors: Kallscheuer N, Rast P, Jogler M, Wiegand S, Kohn T, Boedeker C, Jeske O, Heuer A, Quast C, Glöckner FO, Rohde M, Jogler C
- Issue date: 2021 Mar
- Phycisphaera mikurensis gen. nov., sp. nov., isolated from a marine alga, and proposal of Phycisphaeraceae fam. nov., Phycisphaerales ord. nov. and Phycisphaerae classis nov. in the phylum Planctomycetes.
- Authors: Fukunaga Y, Kurahashi M, Sakiyama Y, Ohuchi M, Yokota A, Harayama S
- Issue date: 2009 Aug