MAPS integrates regulation of actin-targeting effector SteC into the virulence control network of Salmonella small RNA PinT.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA full understanding of the contribution of small RNAs (sRNAs) to bacterial virulence demands knowledge of their target suites under infection-relevant conditions. Here, we take an integrative approach to capturing targets of the Hfq-associated sRNA PinT, a known post-transcriptional timer of the two major virulence programs of Salmonella enterica. Using MS2 affinity purification and RNA sequencing (MAPS), we identify PinT ligands in bacteria under in vitro conditions mimicking specific stages of the infection cycle and in bacteria growing inside macrophages. This reveals PinT-mediated translational inhibition of the secreted effector kinase SteC, which had gone unnoticed in previous target searches. Using genetic, biochemical, and microscopic assays, we provide evidence for PinT-mediated repression of steC mRNA, eventually delaying actin rearrangements in infected host cells. Our findings support the role of PinT as a central post-transcriptional regulator in Salmonella virulence and illustrate the need for complementary methods to reveal the full target suites of sRNAs.
CitationCell Rep. 2021 Feb 2;34(5):108722. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2021.108722.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
PublisherElsevier (Cell Press)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- The Small RNA PinT Contributes to PhoP-Mediated Regulation of the <i>Salmonella</i> Pathogenicity Island 1 Type III Secretion System in Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium.
- Authors: Kim K, Palmer AD, Vanderpool CK, Slauch JM
- Issue date: 2019 Oct 1
- The Major RNA-Binding Protein ProQ Impacts Virulence Gene Expression in Salmonella enterica Serovar Typhimurium.
- Authors: Westermann AJ, Venturini E, Sellin ME, Förstner KU, Hardt WD, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 2
- A novel antisense RNA from the Salmonella virulence plasmid pSLT expressed by non-growing bacteria inside eukaryotic cells.
- Authors: Gonzalo-Asensio J, Ortega AD, Rico-Pérez G, Pucciarelli MG, García-Del Portillo F
- Issue date: 2013
- Deep sequencing analysis of small noncoding RNA and mRNA targets of the global post-transcriptional regulator, Hfq.
- Authors: Sittka A, Lucchini S, Papenfort K, Sharma CM, Rolle K, Binnewies TT, Hinton JC, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2008 Aug 22
- Deep sequencing of Salmonella RNA associated with heterologous Hfq proteins in vivo reveals small RNAs as a major target class and identifies RNA processing phenotypes.
- Authors: Sittka A, Sharma CM, Rolle K, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2009 Jul-Aug