Time-Resolved scRNA-Seq Tracks the Adaptation of a Sensitive MCL Cell Line to Ibrutinib Treatment.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractSince the approval of ibrutinib for relapsed/refractory mantle cell lymphoma (MCL), the treatment of this rare mature B-cell neoplasm has taken a great leap forward. Despite promising efficacy of the Bruton tyrosine kinase inhibitor, resistance arises inevitably and the underlying mechanisms remain to be elucidated. Here, we aimed to decipher the response of a sensitive MCL cell line treated with ibrutinib using time-resolved single-cell RNA sequencing. The analysis uncovered five subpopulations and their individual responses to the treatment. The effects on the B cell receptor pathway, cell cycle, surface antigen expression, and metabolism were revealed by the computational analysis and were validated by molecular biological methods. The observed upregulation of B cell receptor signaling, crosstalk with the microenvironment, upregulation of CD52, and metabolic reprogramming towards dependence on oxidative phosphorylation favor resistance to ibrutinib treatment. Targeting these cellular responses provide new therapy options in MCL.
CitationInt J Mol Sci. 2021 Feb 25;22(5):2276. doi: 10.3390/ijms22052276.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- CDKN1C-mediated growth inhibition by an EZH1/2 dual inhibitor overcomes resistance of mantle cell lymphoma to ibrutinib.
- Authors: Kagiyama Y, Fujita S, Shima Y, Yamagata K, Katsumoto T, Nakagawa M, Honma D, Adachi N, Araki K, Kato A, Inaki K, Ono Y, Fukuhara S, Kobayashi Y, Tobinai K, Kitabayashi I
- Issue date: 2021 Jun
- Cell-cycle reprogramming for PI3K inhibition overrides a relapse-specific C481S BTK mutation revealed by longitudinal functional genomics in mantle cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Chiron D, Di Liberto M, Martin P, Huang X, Sharman J, Blecua P, Mathew S, Vijay P, Eng K, Ali S, Johnson A, Chang B, Ely S, Elemento O, Mason CE, Leonard JP, Chen-Kiang S
- Issue date: 2014 Sep
- Bruton tyrosine kinase is commonly overexpressed in mantle cell lymphoma and its attenuation by Ibrutinib induces apoptosis.
- Authors: Cinar M, Hamedani F, Mo Z, Cinar B, Amin HM, Alkan S
- Issue date: 2013 Oct
- HSP90 inhibition overcomes ibrutinib resistance in mantle cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Jacobson C, Kopp N, Layer JV, Redd RA, Tschuri S, Haebe S, van Bodegom D, Bird L, Christie AL, Christodoulou A, Saur A, Tivey T, Zapf S, Bararia D, Zimber-Strobl U, Rodig SJ, Weigert O, Weinstock DM
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 24
- Biological rational for sequential targeting of Bruton tyrosine kinase and Bcl-2 to overcome CD40-induced ABT-199 resistance in mantle cell lymphoma.
- Authors: Chiron D, Dousset C, Brosseau C, Touzeau C, Maïga S, Moreau P, Pellat-Deceunynck C, Le Gouill S, Amiot M
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 20