Filling the Gaps in the Cyanobacterial Tree of Life-Metagenome Analysis of Stigonema ocellatum DSM 106950, SAG 13.99 and DSM 107014.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractCyanobacteria represent one of the most important and diverse lineages of prokaryotes with an unparalleled morphological diversity ranging from unicellular cocci and characteristic colony-formers to multicellular filamentous strains with different cell types. Sequencing of more than 1200 available reference genomes was mainly driven by their ecological relevance (Prochlorococcus, Synechococcus), toxicity (Microcystis) and the availability of axenic strains. In the current study three slowly growing non-axenic cyanobacteria with a distant phylogenetic positioning were selected for metagenome sequencing in order to (i) investigate their genomes and to (ii) uncover the diversity of associated heterotrophs. High-throughput Illumina sequencing, metagenomic assembly and binning allowed us to establish nearly complete high-quality draft genomes of all three cyanobacteria and to determine their phylogenetic position. The cyanosphere of the limnic isolates comprises up to 40 heterotrophic bacteria that likely coexisted for several decades, and it is dominated by Alphaproteobacteria and Bacteriodetes. The diagnostic marker protein RpoB ensured in combination with our novel taxonomic assessment via BLASTN-dependent text-mining a reliable classification of the metagenome assembled genomes (MAGs). The detection of one new family and more than a dozen genera of uncultivated heterotrophic bacteria illustrates that non-axenic cyanobacteria are treasure troves of hidden microbial diversity.
CitationGenes (Basel). 2021 Mar 9;12(3):389. doi: 10.3390/genes12030389.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Metagenomic assembly of new (sub)polar Cyanobacteria and their associated microbiome from non-axenic cultures.
- Authors: Cornet L, Bertrand AR, Hanikenne M, Javaux EJ, Wilmotte A, Baurain D
- Issue date: 2018 Sep
- Evaluating de Novo Assembly and Binning Strategies for Time Series Drinking Water Metagenomes.
- Authors: Vosloo S, Huo L, Anderson CL, Dai Z, Sevillano M, Pinto A
- Issue date: 2021 Dec 22
- Metagenomic Analysis of the Indian Ocean Picocyanobacterial Community: Structure, Potential Function and Evolution.
- Authors: Díez B, Nylander JA, Ininbergs K, Dupont CL, Allen AE, Yooseph S, Rusch DB, Bergman B
- Issue date: 2016
- Genomes from uncultivated prokaryotes: a comparison of metagenome-assembled and single-amplified genomes.
- Authors: Alneberg J, Karlsson CMG, Divne AM, Bergin C, Homa F, Lindh MV, Hugerth LW, Ettema TJG, Bertilsson S, Andersson AF, Pinhassi J
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 28
- Long-read based de novo assembly of low-complexity metagenome samples results in finished genomes and reveals insights into strain diversity and an active phage system.
- Authors: Somerville V, Lutz S, Schmid M, Frei D, Moser A, Irmler S, Frey JE, Ahrens CH
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 25