Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractExtracellular vesicles (EVs) are cell-derived nanoparticles that are important mediators in intercellular communication. This function makes them auspicious candidates for therapeutic and drug-delivery applications. Among EVs, mammalian cell derived EVs and outer membrane vesicles (OMVs) produced by gram-negative bacteria are the most investigated candidates for pharmaceutical applications. To further optimize their performance and to utilize their natural abilities, researchers have strived to equip EVs with new moieties on their surface while preserving the integrity of the vesicles. The aim of this review is to give a comprehensive overview of techniques that can be used to introduce these moieties to the vesicle surface. Approaches can be classified in regards to whether they take place before or after the isolation of EVs. The producing cells can be subjected to genetic manipulation or metabolic engineering to produce surface modified vesicles or EVs are engineered after their isolation by physical or chemical means. Here, the advantages and disadvantages of these processes and their applicability for the development of EVs as therapeutic agents are discussed.
CitationAdv Drug Deliv Rev. 2021 Apr 6;173:416-426. doi: 10.1016/j.addr.2021.03.020. Epub ahead of print.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
JournalAdvanced drug delivery reviews
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Membrane Derived Vesicles as Biomimetic Carriers for Targeted Drug Delivery System.
- Authors: Zhang LY, Yang X, Wang SB, Chen H, Pan HY, Hu ZM
- Issue date: 2020
- Surface functionalization strategies of extracellular vesicles.
- Authors: Rayamajhi S, Aryal S
- Issue date: 2020 Jun 7
- Engineering approaches for effective therapeutic applications based on extracellular vesicles.
- Authors: Kwon S, Shin S, Do M, Oh BH, Song Y, Bui VD, Lee ES, Jo DG, Cho YW, Kim DH, Park JH
- Issue date: 2021 Feb 10
- Extracellular vesicles for drug delivery.
- Authors: Vader P, Mol EA, Pasterkamp G, Schiffelers RM
- Issue date: 2016 Nov 15
- Extracellular vesicles: Novel promising delivery systems for therapy of brain diseases.
- Authors: Rufino-Ramos D, Albuquerque PR, Carmona V, Perfeito R, Nobre RJ, Pereira de Almeida L
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 28