Direct conversion of porcine primary fibroblasts into hepatocyte-like cells.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Vondran, Florian W R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe pig is an important model organism for biomedical research, mainly due to its extensive genetic, physiological and anatomical similarities with humans. Until date, direct conversion of somatic cells into hepatocyte-like cells (iHeps) has only been achieved in rodents and human cells. Here, we employed lentiviral vectors to screen a panel of 12 hepatic transcription factors (TF) for their potential to convert porcine fibroblasts into hepatocyte-like cells. We demonstrate for the first time, hepatic conversion of porcine somatic cells by over-expression of CEBPα, FOXA1 and HNF4α2 (3TF-piHeps). Reprogrammed 3TF-piHeps display a hepatocyte-like morphology and show functional characteristics of hepatic cells, including albumin secretion, Dil-AcLDL uptake, storage of lipids and glycogen and activity of cytochrome P450 enzymes CYP1A2 and CYP2C33 (CYP2C9 in humans). Moreover, we show that markers of mature hepatocytes are highly expressed in 3TF-piHeps, while fibroblastic markers are reduced. We envision piHeps as useful cell sources for future studies on drug metabolism and toxicity as well as in vitro models for investigation of pig-to-human infectious diseases.
CitationSci Rep. 2021 Apr 29;11(1):9334. doi: 10.1038/s41598-021-88727-1.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Nonintegrating Direct Conversion Using mRNA into Hepatocyte-Like Cells.
- Authors: Yoon S, Kang K, Cho YD, Kim Y, Buisson EM, Yim JH, Lee SB, Ryu KY, Jeong J, Choi D
- Issue date: 2018
- Silencing of hepatic fate-conversion factors induce tumorigenesis in reprogrammed hepatic progenitor-like cells.
- Authors: Serrano F, García-Bravo M, Blazquez M, Torres J, Castell JV, Segovia JC, Bort R
- Issue date: 2016 Jul 27
- Chemical Cocktails Enable Hepatic Reprogramming of Mouse Fibroblasts with a Single Transcription Factor.
- Authors: Guo R, Tang W, Yuan Q, Hui L, Wang X, Xie X
- Issue date: 2017 Aug 8
- Hepatocyte-like cells generated by direct reprogramming from murine somatic cells can repopulate decellularized livers.
- Authors: Chen C, Pla-Palacín I, Baptista PM, Shang P, Oosterhoff LA, van Wolferen ME, Penning LC, Geijsen N, Spee B
- Issue date: 2018 Nov
- Transcription factor-mediated reprograming of fibroblasts to hepatocyte-like cells.
- Authors: Pournasr B, Asghari-Vostikolaee MH, Baharvand H
- Issue date: 2015 Dec