Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
AuthorsSordillo, Joanne E
Rifas-Shiman, Sheryl L
DeMeo, Dawn L
Baccarelli, Andrea A
Vonk, Judith M
Gold, Diane R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractRationale: PM2.5-induced adverse effects on respiratory health may be driven by epigenetic modifications in airway cells. The potential impact of exposure duration on epigenetic alterations in the airways is not yet known. Objectives: We aimed to study associations of fine particulate matter PM2.5 exposure with DNA methylation in nasal cells. Methods: We conducted nasal epigenome-wide association analyses within 503 children from Project Viva (mean age 12.9 y), and examined various exposure durations (1-day, 1-week, 1-month, 3-months and 1-year) prior to nasal sampling. We used residential addresses to estimate average daily PM2.5 at 1 km resolution. We collected nasal swabs from the anterior nares and measured DNA methylation (DNAm) using the Illumina MethylationEPIC BeadChip. We tested 719,075 high quality autosomal CpGs using CpG-by-CpG and regional DNAm analyses controlling for multiple comparisons, and adjusted for maternal education, household smokers, child sex, race/ethnicity, BMI z-score, age, season at sample collection and cell-type heterogeneity. We further corrected for bias and genomic inflation. We tested for replication in a cohort from the Netherlands (PIAMA). Results: In adjusted analyses, we found 362 CpGs associated with 1-year PM2.5 (FDR < 0.05), 20 CpGs passing Bonferroni correction (P < 7.0x10-8) and 10 Differentially Methylated Regions (DMRs). In 445 PIAMA participants (mean age 16.3 years) 11 of 203 available CpGs replicated at P < 0.05. We observed differential DNAm at/near genes implicated in cell cycle, immune and inflammatory responses. There were no CpGs or regions associated with PM2.5 levels at 1-day, 1-week, or 1-month prior to sample collection, although 2 CpGs were associated with past 3-month PM2.5. Conclusion: We observed wide-spread DNAm variability associated with average past year PM2.5 exposure but we did not detect associations with shorter-term exposure. Our results suggest that nasal DNAm marks reflect chronic air pollution exposure.
CitationEnviron Int. 2021 Aug;153:106505. doi: 10.1016/j.envint.2021.106505. Epub 2021 Apr 16.
AffiliationCiiM, Zentrum für individualisierte Infektionsmedizin, Feodor-Lynen-Str.7, 30625 Hannover.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- The nasal methylome as a biomarker of asthma and airway inflammation in children.
- Authors: Cardenas A, Sordillo JE, Rifas-Shiman SL, Chung W, Liang L, Coull BA, Hivert MF, Lai PS, Forno E, Celedón JC, Litonjua AA, Brennan KJ, DeMeo DL, Baccarelli AA, Oken E, Gold DR
- Issue date: 2019 Jul 12
- Methylome-wide association study provides evidence of particulate matter air pollution-associated DNA methylation.
- Authors: Gondalia R, Baldassari A, Holliday KM, Justice AE, Méndez-Giráldez R, Stewart JD, Liao D, Yanosky JD, Brennan KJM, Engel SM, Jordahl KM, Kennedy E, Ward-Caviness CK, Wolf K, Waldenberger M, Cyrys J, Peters A, Bhatti P, Horvath S, Assimes TL, Pankow JS, Demerath EW, Guan W, Fornage M, Bressler J, North KE, Conneely KN, Li Y, Hou L, Baccarelli AA, Whitsel EA
- Issue date: 2019 Nov
- Long-term ambient particle exposures and blood DNA methylation age: findings from the VA normative aging study.
- Authors: Nwanaji-Enwerem JC, Colicino E, Trevisi L, Kloog I, Just AC, Shen J, Brennan K, Dereix A, Hou L, Vokonas P, Schwartz J, Baccarelli AA
- Issue date: 2016 Apr
- Prenatal Particulate Air Pollution and DNA Methylation in Newborns: An Epigenome-Wide Meta-Analysis.
- Authors: Gruzieva O, Xu CJ, Yousefi P, Relton C, Merid SK, Breton CV, Gao L, Volk HE, Feinberg JI, Ladd-Acosta C, Bakulski K, Auffray C, Lemonnier N, Plusquin M, Ghantous A, Herceg Z, Nawrot TS, Pizzi C, Richiardi L, Rusconi F, Vineis P, Kogevinas M, Felix JF, Duijts L, den Dekker HT, Jaddoe VWV, Ruiz JL, Bustamante M, Antó JM, Sunyer J, Vrijheid M, Gutzkow KB, Grazuleviciene R, Hernandez-Ferrer C, Annesi-Maesano I, Lepeule J, Bousquet J, Bergström A, Kull I, Söderhäll C, Kere J, Gehring U, Brunekreef B, Just AC, Wright RJ, Peng C, Gold DR, Kloog I, DeMeo DL, Pershagen G, Koppelman GH, London SJ, Baccarelli AA, Melén E
- Issue date: 2019 May
- DNA Methylation Architecture of the ACE2 gene in Nasal Cells.
- Authors: Cardenas A, Rifas-Shiman SL, Sordillo JE, DeMeo DL, Baccarelli AA, Hivert MF, Gold DR, Oken E
- Issue date: 2020 Sep 16