A Metabolomics Exploration of the Sexual Phase in the Marine Diatom Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractPseudo-nitzschia multistriata is a planktonic marine diatom with a diplontic life cycle comprising a short sexual phase, during which gametes are produced following the encounter of two diploid cells of opposite mating type (MT). Gene expression studies have highlighted the presence of substantial changes occurring at the onset of sexual reproduction. Herein, we have hypothesized that the amount and nature of cellular metabolites varies along the mating process. To capture the metabolome of Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata at different harvesting times in an unbiased manner, we undertook an untargeted metabolomics approach based on liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Using three different extraction steps, the method revealed pronounced differences in the metabolic profiles between control cells in the vegetative phase (MT+ and MT-) and mixed strains of opposite MTs (cross) undergoing sexual reproduction. Of the 2408 high-quality features obtained, 70 known metabolites could be identified based on in-house libraries and online databases; additional 46 features could be classified by molecular networking of tandem mass spectra. The reduction of phytol detected in the cross can be linked to the general downregulation of photosynthesis during sexual reproduction observed elsewhere. Moreover, the role of highly regulated compounds such as 7-dehydrodesmosterol, whose changes in abundance were the highest in the experiment, oleamide, ectoine, or trigonelline is discussed.
CitationMar Drugs. 2020 Jun 14;18(6):313. doi: 10.3390/md18060313.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- The sexual phase of the diatom Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata: cytological and time-lapse cinematography characterization.
- Authors: Scalco E, Amato A, Ferrante MI, Montresor M
- Issue date: 2016 Nov
- The dynamics of sexual phase in the marine diatom Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata (Bacillariophyceae).
- Authors: Scalco E, Stec K, Iudicone D, Ferrante MI, Montresor M
- Issue date: 2014 Oct
- Establishment of Genetic Transformation in the Sexually Reproducing Diatoms Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata and Pseudo-nitzschia arenysensis and Inheritance of the Transgene.
- Authors: Sabatino V, Russo MT, Patil S, d'Ippolito G, Fontana A, Ferrante MI
- Issue date: 2015 Aug
- Finding a partner in the ocean: molecular and evolutionary bases of the response to sexual cues in a planktonic diatom.
- Authors: Basu S, Patil S, Mapleson D, Russo MT, Vitale L, Fevola C, Maumus F, Casotti R, Mock T, Caccamo M, Montresor M, Sanges R, Ferrante MI
- Issue date: 2017 Jul
- Identification of the meiotic toolkit in diatoms and exploration of meiosis-specific SPO11 and RAD51 homologs in the sexual species Pseudo-nitzschia multistriata and Seminavis robusta.
- Authors: Patil S, Moeys S, von Dassow P, Huysman MJ, Mapleson D, De Veylder L, Sanges R, Vyverman W, Montresor M, Ferrante MI
- Issue date: 2015 Nov 14