RNA landscape of the emerging cancer-associated microbe Fusobacterium nucleatum.
Supplementary figures 1-4.pdf
supplementary figures 1 to 4
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractFusobacterium nucleatum, long known as a constituent of the oral microflora, has recently garnered renewed attention for its association with several different human cancers. The growing interest in this emerging cancer-associated bacterium contrasts with a paucity of knowledge about its basic gene expression features and physiological responses. As fusobacteria lack all established small RNA-associated proteins, post-transcriptional networks in these bacteria are also unknown. In the present study, using differential RNA-sequencing, we generate high-resolution global RNA maps for five clinically relevant fusobacterial strains-F. nucleatum subspecies nucleatum, animalis, polymorphum and vincentii, as well as F. periodonticum-for early, mid-exponential growth and early stationary phase. These data are made available in an online browser, and we use these to uncover fundamental aspects of fusobacterial gene expression architecture and a suite of non-coding RNAs. Developing a vector for functional analysis of fusobacterial genes, we discover a conserved fusobacterial oxygen-induced small RNA, FoxI, which serves as a post-transcriptional repressor of the major outer membrane porin FomA. Our findings provide a crucial step towards delineating the regulatory networks enabling F. nucleatum adaptation to different environments, which may elucidate how these bacteria colonize different compartments of the human body.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Fusobacterium nucleatum subspecies identification by matrix-assisted laser desorption ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry.
- Authors: Nie S, Tian B, Wang X, Pincus DH, Welker M, Gilhuley K, Lu X, Han YW, Tang YW
- Issue date: 2015 Apr
- Application of rpoB and zinc protease gene for use in molecular discrimination of Fusobacterium nucleatum subspecies.
- Authors: Kim HS, Lee DS, Chang YH, Kim MJ, Koh S, Kim J, Seong JH, Song SK, Shin HS, Son JB, Jung MY, Park SN, Yoo SY, Cho KW, Kim DK, Moon S, Kim D, Choi Y, Kim BO, Jang HS, Kim CS, Kim C, Choe SJ, Kook JK
- Issue date: 2010 Feb
- Molecular characterization of a 40-kDa outer membrane protein, FomA, of Fusobacterium periodonticum and comparison with Fusobacterium nucleatum.
- Authors: Bolstad AI, Høgh BT, Jensen HB
- Issue date: 1995 Oct
- Genome-Based Reclassification of Fusobacterium nucleatum Subspecies at the Species Level.
- Authors: Kook JK, Park SN, Lim YK, Cho E, Jo E, Roh H, Shin Y, Paek J, Kim HS, Kim H, Shin JH, Chang YH
- Issue date: 2017 Oct
- Differences in mortality in Fusobacterium necrophorum and Fusobacterium nucleatum infections detected by culture and 16S rRNA gene sequencing.
- Authors: Johannesen KM, Kolekar SB, Greve N, Nielsen XC, Barfod TS, Bodtger U
- Issue date: 2019 Jan