Rational construction of genome-reduced Burkholderiales chassis facilitates efficient heterologous production of natural products from proteobacteria.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractHeterologous expression of biosynthetic gene clusters (BGCs) avails yield improvements and mining of natural products, but it is limited by lacking of more efficient Gram-negative chassis. The proteobacterium Schlegelella brevitalea DSM 7029 exhibits potential for heterologous BGC expression, but its cells undergo early autolysis, hindering further applications. Herein, we rationally construct DC and DT series genome-reduced S. brevitalea mutants by sequential deletions of endogenous BGCs and the nonessential genomic regions, respectively. The DC5 to DC7 mutants affect growth, while the DT series mutants show improved growth characteristics with alleviated cell autolysis. The yield improvements of six proteobacterial natural products and successful identification of chitinimides from Chitinimonas koreensis via heterologous expression in DT mutants demonstrate their superiority to wild-type DSM 7029 and two commonly used Gram-negative chassis Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas putida. Our study expands the panel of Gram-negative chassis and facilitates the discovery of natural products by heterologous expression.
CitationNat Commun. 2021 Jul 23;12(1):4347. doi: 10.1038/s41467-021-24645-0.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
PublisherNature publishing group
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Promoter Screening Facilitates Heterologous Production of Complex Secondary Metabolites in Burkholderiales Strains.
- Authors: Ouyang Q, Wang X, Zhang N, Zhong L, Liu J, Ding X, Zhang Y, Bian X
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 21
- Broad-Host-Range Expression Reveals Native and Host Regulatory Elements That Influence Heterologous Antibiotic Production in Gram-Negative Bacteria.
- Authors: Zhang JJ, Tang X, Zhang M, Nguyen D, Moore BS
- Issue date: 2017 Sep 5
- Rational construction of genome-reduced and high-efficient industrial Streptomyces chassis based on multiple comparative genomic approaches.
- Authors: Bu QT, Yu P, Wang J, Li ZY, Chen XA, Mao XM, Li YQ
- Issue date: 2019 Jan 28
- Multi-chassis engineering for heterologous production of microbial natural products.
- Authors: Ke J, Yoshikuni Y
- Issue date: 2020 Apr
- Genetic platforms for heterologous expression of microbial natural products.
- Authors: Zhang JJ, Tang X, Moore BS
- Issue date: 2019 Sep 1