A molecular theory of germinal center B cell selection and division.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe selection of B cells (BCs) in germinal centers (GCs) is pivotal to the generation of high-affinity antibodies and memory BCs, but it lacks global understanding. Based on the idea of a single Tfh-cell signal that controls BC selection and division, experiments appear contradictory. Here, we use the current knowledge on the molecular pathways of GC BCs to develop a theory of GC BC selection and division based on the dynamics of molecular factors. This theory explains the seemingly contradictory experiments by the separation of signals for BC fate decision from signals controlling the number of BC divisions. Three model variants are proposed and experiments are predicted that allow one to distinguish those. Understanding information processing in molecular BC states is critical for targeted immune interventions, and the proposed theory implies that selection and division can be controlled independently in GC reactions.
CitationCell Rep. 2021 Aug 24;36(8):109552. doi: 10.1016/j.celrep.2021.109552. PMID: 34433043.
AffiliationBRICS, Braunschweiger Zentrum für Systembiologie, Rebenring 56,38106 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Multiscale Modeling of Germinal Center Recapitulates the Temporal Transition From Memory B Cells to Plasma Cells Differentiation as Regulated by Antigen Affinity-Based Tfh Cell Help.
- Authors: Merino Tejero E, Lashgari D, García-Valiente R, Gao X, Crauste F, Robert PA, Meyer-Hermann M, Martínez MR, van Ham SM, Guikema JEJ, Hoefsloot H, van Kampen AHC
- Issue date: 2020
- Protein Amounts of the MYC Transcription Factor Determine Germinal Center B Cell Division Capacity.
- Authors: Finkin S, Hartweger H, Oliveira TY, Kara EE, Nussenzweig MC
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 20
- A theory of germinal center B cell selection, division, and exit.
- Authors: Meyer-Hermann M, Mohr E, Pelletier N, Zhang Y, Victora GD, Toellner KM
- Issue date: 2012 Jul 26
- Early T Follicular Helper Cell Responses and Germinal Center Reactions Are Associated with Viremia Control in Immunized Rhesus Macaques.
- Authors: Helmold Hait S, Vargas-Inchaustegui DA, Musich T, Mohanram V, Tuero I, Venzon DJ, Bear J, Rosati M, Vaccari M, Franchini G, Felber BK, Pavlakis GN, Robert-Guroff M
- Issue date: 2019 Feb 15
- A Sensitivity Analysis Comparison of Three Models for the Dynamics of Germinal Centers.
- Authors: Faro J, von Haeften B, Gardner R, Faro E
- Issue date: 2019