Fate mapping of single NK cells identifies a type 1 innate lymphoid-like lineage that bridges innate and adaptive recognition of viral infection.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Böttcher, Jan P
Pachmayr, Ludwig O
Chaudhry, M Zeeshan
Busch, Dirk H
Sun, Joseph C
Victora, Gabriel D
Buchholz, Veit R
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractUpon viral infection, natural killer (NK) cells expressing certain germline-encoded receptors are selected, expanded, and maintained in an adaptive-like manner. Currently, these are thought to differentiate along a common pathway. However, by fate mapping of single NK cells upon murine cytomegalovirus (MCMV) infection, we identified two distinct NK cell lineages that contributed to adaptive-like responses. One was equivalent to conventional NK (cNK) cells while the other was transcriptionally similar to type 1 innate lymphoid cells (ILC1s). ILC1-like NK cells showed splenic residency and strong cytokine production but also recognized and killed MCMV-infected cells, guided by activating receptor Ly49H. Moreover, they induced clustering of conventional type 1 dendritic cells and facilitated antigen-specific T cell priming early during MCMV infection, which depended on Ly49H and the NK cell-intrinsic expression of transcription factor Batf3. Thereby, ILC1-like NK cells bridge innate and adaptive viral recognition and unite critical features of cNK cells and ILC1s.
CitationImmunity. 2021 Aug 20:S1074-7613(21)00332-0. doi: 10.1016/j.immuni.2021.08.002. Epub ahead of print.
AffiliationHZI, Helmholtz Zentrum für Infektionsforschung, GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7, 38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Cytomegalovirus Evades TRAIL-Mediated Innate Lymphoid Cell 1 Defenses.
- Authors: Picarda G, Ghosh R, McDonald B, Verma S, Thiault N, El Morabiti R, Griffith TS, Benedict CA
- Issue date: 2019 Aug 15
- Distinct Surface Expression of Activating Receptor Ly49H Drives Differential Expansion of NK Cell Clones upon Murine Cytomegalovirus Infection.
- Authors: Grassmann S, Pachmayr LO, Leube J, Mihatsch L, Andrae I, Flommersfeld S, Oduro J, Cicin-Sain L, Schiemann M, Flossdorf M, Buchholz VR
- Issue date: 2019 Jun 18
- PLZF expression maps the early stages of ILC1 lineage development.
- Authors: Constantinides MG, Gudjonson H, McDonald BD, Ishizuka IE, Verhoef PA, Dinner AR, Bendelac A
- Issue date: 2015 Apr 21
- Development, Homeostasis, and Heterogeneity of NK Cells and ILC1.
- Authors: Seillet C, Belz GT, Huntington ND
- Issue date: 2016
- Genetic control of innate immune responses against cytomegalovirus: MCMV meets its match.
- Authors: Webb JR, Lee SH, Vidal SM
- Issue date: 2002 Aug