Towards the sustainable discovery and development of new antibiotics.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Arimondo, Paola B
Bode, Helge B
Medema, Marnix H
Tormo, José Rubén
Truman, Andrew W
Weissman, Kira J
Hirsch, Anna K H
van Dongen, Maarten
Piddock, Laura J V
Gilbert, Ian H
Moser, Heinz E
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractAn ever-increasing demand for novel antimicrobials to treat life-threatening infections caused by the global spread of multidrug-resistant bacterial pathogens stands in stark contrast to the current level of investment in their development, particularly in the fields of natural-product-derived and synthetic small molecules. New agents displaying innovative chemistry and modes of action are desperately needed worldwide to tackle the public health menace posed by antimicrobial resistance. Here, our consortium presents a strategic blueprint to substantially improve our ability to discover and develop new antibiotics. We propose both short-term and long-term solutions to overcome the most urgent limitations in the various sectors of research and funding, aiming to bridge the gap between academic, industrial and political stakeholders, and to unite interdisciplinary expertise in order to efficiently fuel the translational pipeline for the benefit of future generations.
CitationNat Rev Chem. 2021 Aug 19:1-24. doi: 10.1038/s41570-021-00313-1. Epub ahead of print.
AffiliationHIPS, Helmholtz-Institut für Pharmazeutische Forschung Saarland, Universitätscampus E8.1 66123 Saarbrücken, Germany.
JournalNature reviews. Chemistry
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Towards the sustainable discovery and development of new antibiotics.
- Authors: Miethke M, Pieroni M, Weber T, Brönstrup M, Hammann P, Halby L, Arimondo PB, Glaser P, Aigle B, Bode HB, Moreira R, Li Y, Luzhetskyy A, Medema MH, Pernodet JL, Stadler M, Tormo JR, Genilloud O, Truman AW, Weissman KJ, Takano E, Sabatini S, Stegmann E, Brötz-Oesterhelt H, Wohlleben W, Seemann M, Empting M, Hirsch AKH, Loretz B, Lehr CM, Titz A, Herrmann J, Jaeger T, Alt S, Hesterkamp T, Winterhalter M, Schiefer A, Pfarr K, Hoerauf A, Graz H, Graz M, Lindvall M, Ramurthy S, Karlén A, van Dongen M, Petkovic H, Keller A, Peyrane F, Donadio S, Fraisse L, Piddock LJV, Gilbert IH, Moser HE, Müller R
- Issue date: 2021 Oct
- Leveraging Marine Natural Products as a Platform to Tackle Bacterial Resistance and Persistence.
- Authors: Valdes-Pena MA, Massaro NP, Lin YC, Pierce JG
- Issue date: 2021 Apr 20
- [Development of antituberculous drugs: current status and future prospects].
- Authors: Tomioka H, Namba K
- Issue date: 2006 Dec
- Multidrug-resistant gram-negative organisms: a review of recently approved antibiotics and novel pipeline agents.
- Authors: Provenzani A, Hospodar AR, Meyer AL, Leonardi Vinci D, Hwang EY, Butrus CM, Polidori P
- Issue date: 2020 Aug
- Recent Progress in the Development of Small-Molecule FtsZ Inhibitors as Chemical Tools for the Development of Novel Antibiotics.
- Authors: Carro L
- Issue date: 2019 Nov 11