Synthesis and Bioactivity of Ancorinoside B, a Marine Diglycosyl Tetramic Acid
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe sponge metabolite ancorinoside B was prepared for the first time in 16 steps and 4% yield. It features a β-d-galactopyranosyl-(1→4)-β-d-glucuronic acid tethered to a d-aspartic acid-derived tetramic acid. Key steps were the synthesis of a fully protected d-lactose derived thioglycoside, its attachment to a C20-aldehyde spacer, functionalization of the latter with a terminal N-(β-ketoacyl)-d-aspartate, and a basic Dieckmann cyclization to close the pyrrolidin-2,4-dione ring with concomitant global deprotection. Ancorinoside B exhibited multiple biological effects of medicinal interest. It inhibited the secretion of the cancer metastasis-relevant matrix metalloproteinases MMP-2 and MMP-9, and also the growth of Staphylococcus aureus biofilms by ca 87% when applied at concentrations as low as 0.5 µg/mL. This concentration is far below its MIC of ca 67 µg/mL and thus unlikely to induce bacterial resistance. It also led to a 67% dispersion of preformed S. aureus biofilms when applied at a concentration of ca 2 µg/mL. Ancorinoside B might thus be an interesting candidate for the control of the general hospital, catheter, or joint protheses infections.
CitationMar Drugs. 2021 Oct 19;19(10):583. doi: 10.3390/md19100583.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Total Synthesis of the Diglycosidic Tetramic Acid Ancorinoside A.
- Authors: Petermichl M, Schobert R
- Issue date: 2017 Oct 20
- Synthesis of Tetramic Acid Fragments Derived from Vancoresmycin Showing Inhibitory Effects towards S. aureus.
- Authors: Wingen LM, Rausch M, Schneider T, Menche D
- Issue date: 2020 Aug 5
- The Biological and Chemical Diversity of Tetramic Acid Compounds from Marine-Derived Microorganisms.
- Authors: Jiang M, Chen S, Li J, Liu L
- Issue date: 2020 Feb 15
- New β-lactam - Tetramic acid hybrids show promising antibacterial activities.
- Authors: Cherian PT, Cheramie MN, Marreddy RKR, Fernando DM, Hurdle JG, Lee RE
- Issue date: 2018 Oct 1
- Synthesis, biological evaluation and structure-activity relationships of 5-arylidene tetramic acids with antibacterial activity against methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
- Authors: Matiadis D, Tsironis D, Stefanou V, Boussias S, Panagiotopoulou A, McKee V, Igglessi-Markopoulou O, Markopoulos J
- Issue date: 2020 May 15