A role for PchHI as the ABC transporter in iron acquisition by the siderophore pyochelin in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
Garcia-Rivera, Mariel A
Mislin, Gaëtan L A
Schalk, Isabelle J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractIron is an essential nutrient for bacterial growth but poorly bioavailable. Bacteria scavenge ferric iron by synthesizing and secreting siderophores, small compounds with a high affinity for iron. Pyochelin (PCH) is one of the two siderophores produced by the opportunistic pathogen Pseudomonas aeruginosa. After capturing a ferric iron molecule, PCH-Fe is imported back into bacteria first by the outer membrane transporter FptA and then by the inner membrane permease FptX. Here, using molecular biology, 55 Fe uptake assays, and LC-MS/MS quantification, we first find a role for PchHI as the heterodimeric ABC transporter involved in the siderophore-free iron uptake into the bacterial cytoplasm. We also provide the first evidence that PCH is able to reach the bacterial periplasm and cytoplasm when both FptA and FptX are expressed. Finally, we detected an interaction between PchH and FptX, linking the ABC transporter PchHI with the inner permease FptX in the PCH-Fe uptake pathway. These results pave the way for a better understanding of the PCH siderophore pathway, giving future directions to tackle P. aeruginosa infections.
CitationEnviron Microbiol. 2021 Oct 18. doi: 10.1111/1462-2920.15811. Epub ahead of print.
AffiliationHZI,Helmholtz-Zentrum für Infektionsforschung GmbH, Inhoffenstr. 7,38124 Braunschweig, Germany.
PublisherJohn Wiley & Sons LTD
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Stereospecificity of the siderophore pyochelin outer membrane transporters in fluorescent pseudomonads.
- Authors: Hoegy F, Lee X, Noel S, Rognan D, Mislin GL, Reimmann C, Schalk IJ
- Issue date: 2009 May 29
- A cell biological view of the siderophore pyochelin iron uptake pathway in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Cunrath O, Gasser V, Hoegy F, Reimmann C, Guillon L, Schalk IJ
- Issue date: 2015 Jan
- Binding of iron-free siderophore, a common feature of siderophore outer membrane transporters of Escherichia coli and Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Hoegy F, Celia H, Mislin GL, Vincent M, Gallay J, Schalk IJ
- Issue date: 2005 May 27
- Identification of the fatty acid coenzyme-A ligase FadD1 as an interacting partner of FptX in the Pseudomonas aeruginosa pyochelin pathway.
- Authors: Roche B, Mislin GLA, Schalk IJ
- Issue date: 2021 Feb