Global RNA interactome of Salmonella discovers a 5' UTR sponge for the MicF small RNA that connects membrane permeability to transport capacity.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe envelope of Gram-negative bacteria is a vital barrier that must balance protection and nutrient uptake. Small RNAs are crucial regulators of the envelope composition and function. Here, using RIL-seq to capture the Hfq-mediated RNA-RNA interactome in Salmonella enterica, we discover envelope-related riboregulators, including OppX. We show that OppX acts as an RNA sponge of MicF sRNA, a prototypical porin repressor. OppX originates from the 5' UTR of oppABCDF, encoding the major inner-membrane oligopeptide transporter, and sequesters MicF's seed region to derepress the synthesis of the porin OmpF. Intriguingly, OppX operates as a true sponge, storing MicF in an inactive complex without affecting its levels or stability. Conservation of the opp-OppX-MicF-ompF axis in related bacteria suggests that it serves an important mechanism, adjusting envelope porosity to specific transport capacity. These data also highlight the resource value of this Salmonella RNA interactome, which will aid in unraveling RNA-centric regulation in enteric pathogens.
CitationMol Cell. 2022 Feb 3;82(3):629-644.e4. doi: 10.1016/j.molcel.2021.12.030. Epub 2022 Jan 20.
AffiliationHIRI, Helmholtz-Institut für RNA-basierte Infektionsforschung, Josef-Shneider Strasse 2, 97080 Würzburg, Germany.
PublisherElsevier (Cell Press)
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
Except where otherwise noted, this item's license is described as Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International
- Superfolder GFP reporters validate diverse new mRNA targets of the classic porin regulator, MicF RNA.
- Authors: Corcoran CP, Podkaminski D, Papenfort K, Urban JH, Hinton JC, Vogel J
- Issue date: 2012 May
- Annotation and evolutionary relationships of a small regulatory RNA gene micF and its target ompF in Yersinia species.
- Authors: Delihas N
- Issue date: 2003 Jun 30
- MicF: an antisense RNA gene involved in response of Escherichia coli to global stress factors.
- Authors: Delihas N, Forst S
- Issue date: 2001 Oct 12
- Loss of Hfq activates the sigmaE-dependent envelope stress response in Salmonella enterica.
- Authors: Figueroa-Bossi N, Lemire S, Maloriol D, Balbontín R, Casadesús J, Bossi L
- Issue date: 2006 Nov
- Porin biogenesis activates the sigma(E) response in Salmonella hfq mutants.
- Authors: Bossi L, Maloriol D, Figueroa-Bossi N
- Issue date: 2008 Oct