7-Hydroxycoumarins Are Affinity-Based Fluorescent Probes for Competitive Binding Studies of Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
van der Vlag, Ramon
van der Wouden, Petra E
van Merkerk, Ronald
Cool, Robbert H
Hirsch, Anna K H
Melgert, Barbro N
Quax, Wim J
Poelarends, Gerrit J
Dekker, Frank J
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractMacrophage migration inhibitory factor (MIF) is a cytokine with key roles in inflammation and cancer, which qualifies it as a potential drug target. Apart from its cytokine activity, MIF also harbors enzyme activity for keto-enol tautomerization. MIF enzymatic activity has been used for identification of MIF binding molecules that also interfere with its biological activity. However, MIF tautomerase activity assays are troubled by irregularities, thus creating a need for alternative methods. In this study, we identified a 7-hydroxycoumarin fluorophore with high affinity for the MIF tautomerase active site (Ki = 18 ± 1 nM) that binds with concomitant quenching of its fluorescence. This property enabled development of a novel competition-based assay format to quantify MIF binding. We also demonstrated that the 7-hydroxycoumarin fluorophore interfered with the MIF-CD74 interaction and inhibited proliferation of A549 cells. Thus, we provide a high-affinity MIF binder as a novel tool to advance MIF-oriented research.
PublisherAmerican Chemical Society
JournalJournal of medicinal chemistry
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Creative Commons
- Macrophage migration inhibitory factor and the discovery of tautomerase inhibitors.
- Authors: Orita M, Yamamoto S, Katayama N, Fujita S
- Issue date: 2002
- Irregularities in enzyme assays: The case of macrophage migration inhibitory factor.
- Authors: Cisneros JA, Robertson MJ, Valhondo M, Jorgensen WL
- Issue date: 2016 Jun 15
- Coumarin and chromen-4-one analogues as tautomerase inhibitors of macrophage migration inhibitory factor: discovery and X-ray crystallography.
- Authors: Orita M, Yamamoto S, Katayama N, Aoki M, Takayama K, Yamagiwa Y, Seki N, Suzuki H, Kurihara H, Sakashita H, Takeuchi M, Fujita S, Yamada T, Tanaka A
- Issue date: 2001 Feb 15
- Optimization of Pyrazoles as Phenol Surrogates to Yield Potent Inhibitors of Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor.
- Authors: Trivedi-Parmar V, Robertson MJ, Cisneros JA, Krimmer SG, Jorgensen WL
- Issue date: 2018 Jun 6
- Advances and Insights for Small Molecule Inhibition of Macrophage Migration Inhibitory Factor.
- Authors: Trivedi-Parmar V, Jorgensen WL
- Issue date: 2018 Sep 27