Quantitative determination of cyclic diguanosine monophosphate concentrations in nucleotide extracts of bacteria by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractThe physiological response to small molecules (secondary messengers) is the outcome of a delicate equilibrium between biosynthesis and degradation of the signal. Cyclic diguanosine monophosphate (c-di-GMP) is a novel secondary messenger present in many bacteria. It has a complex cellular metabolism whereby usually more than one enzyme synthesizing and degrading c-di-GMP is encoded by a bacterial genome. To assess the in vivo conditions of c-di-GMP signaling, we developed a high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC)-mass spectrometry-based method to detect c-di-GMP with high sensitivity and to quantify the c-di-GMP concentration in the bacterial cell as described here in detail. We successfully used the methodology to determine and compare the c-di-GMP concentrations in bacterial species such as Salmonella typhimurium, Escherichia coli, Pseudomonas aeruginosa, and Vibrio cholerae. We describe the use of the methodology to assess the change in c-di-GMP concentration during the growth phase and the contribution of a point mutation in S. typhimurium to the overall cellular c-di-GMP concentration.
CitationQuantitative determination of cyclic diguanosine monophosphate concentrations in nucleotide extracts of bacteria by matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time-of-flight mass spectrometry. 2009, 386 (1):53-8 Anal. Biochem.
AffiliationDepartment of Microbiology, Tumor and Cell Biology, Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden.
The following license files are associated with this item:
- A liquid chromatography-coupled tandem mass spectrometry method for quantitation of cyclic di-guanosine monophosphate.
- Authors: Spangler C, Böhm A, Jenal U, Seifert R, Kaever V
- Issue date: 2010 Jun
- LC/MS/MS-based quantitative assay for the secondary messenger molecule, c-di-GMP.
- Authors: Irie Y, Parsek MR
- Issue date: 2014
- DgrA is a member of a new family of cyclic diguanosine monophosphate receptors and controls flagellar motor function in Caulobacter crescentus.
- Authors: Christen M, Christen B, Allan MG, Folcher M, Jenö P, Grzesiek S, Jenal U
- Issue date: 2007 Mar 6
- Multiple activities of c-di-GMP in Pseudomonas aeruginosa.
- Authors: Lory S, Merighi M, Hyodo M
- Issue date: 2009
- C-di-GMP: the dawning of a novel bacterial signalling system.
- Authors: Römling U, Gomelsky M, Galperin MY
- Issue date: 2005 Aug