Stereoselective total synthesis of etnangien and etnangien methyl ester.
Cast your vote
You can rate an item by clicking the amount of stars they wish to award to this item.
When enough users have cast their vote on this item, the average rating will also be shown.
Your vote was cast
Thank you for your feedback
Thank you for your feedback
MetadataShow full item record
AbstractA highly stereoselective joint total synthesis of the potent polyketide macrolide antibiotics etnangien and etnangien methyl ester was accomplished by a convergent strategy and proceeds in 23 steps (longest linear sequence). Notable synthetic features include a sequence of highly stereoselective substrate-controlled aldol reactions to set the characteristic assembly of methyl- and hydroxyl-bearing stereogenic centers of the propionate portions, an efficient diastereoselective Heck macrocyclization of a deliberately conformationally biased precursor, and a late-stage introduction of the labile side chain by means of a high-yielding Stille coupling of protective-group-free precursors. Along the way, an improved, reliable protocol for a Z-selective Stork-Zhao-Wittig olefination of aldehydes was developed, and an effective protocol for a 1,3-syn reduction of sterically particularly hindered beta-hydroxy ketones was devised. Within the synthetic campaign, a more detailed understanding of the intrinsic isomerization pathways of these labile natural products was elaborated. The expedient and flexible strategy of the etnangiens should be amenable to designed analogues of these RNA-polymerase inhibitors, thus enabling further exploration of the promising biological potential of these macrolide antibiotics.
CitationStereoselective total synthesis of etnangien and etnangien methyl ester. 2010, 75 (8):2429-44 J. Org. Chem.
AffiliationInstitut für Organische Chemie, Ruprecht-Karls-Universität Heidelberg, Im Neuenheimer Feld 270, D-69120 Heidelberg, Germany.
JournalThe Journal of organic chemistry
The following license files are associated with this item:
- Total synthesis of etnangien.
- Authors: Li P, Li J, Arikan F, Ahlbrecht W, Dieckmann M, Menche D
- Issue date: 2009 Aug 26
- Modular total synthesis of archazolid A and B.
- Authors: Menche D, Hassfeld J, Li J, Mayer K, Rudolph S
- Issue date: 2009 Oct 2
- Modular synthesis of polyene side chain analogues of the potent macrolide antibiotic etnangien by a flexible coupling strategy based on hetero-bis-metallated alkenes.
- Authors: Altendorfer M, Raja A, Sasse F, Irschik H, Menche D
- Issue date: 2013 Apr 7
- Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of simplified side chains of the macrolide antibiotic etnangien.
- Authors: Altendorfer M, Irschik H, Menche D
- Issue date: 2012 Sep 1
- Stereochemical determination and complex biosynthetic assembly of etnangien, a highly potent RNA polymerase inhibitor from the myxobacterium Sorangium cellulosum.
- Authors: Menche D, Arikan F, Perlova O, Horstmann N, Ahlbrecht W, Wenzel SC, Jansen R, Irschik H, Müller R
- Issue date: 2008 Oct 29